Downpipe question..

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
God, If someone that has/had a mk3 turbo then please IM me so I can bug the crap out of you with questions :)

I want a downpipe put on my car, I have seen the 939 ones, and I have also seen the meghan(sp?) racing ones. Which do you guys prefer? I was also thinking about letting the muffler shop just make a 3" DP, but I'm not to sure on that because of them being stupid about turbo cars. Can anyone recommend a nice DP under 150.00... or tell me something to tell the guys at the muffler shop so that I don't get crap. Thanks :icon_bigg

Last edited:

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Most muffler shops will not make you a new dp because it's illegal to remove the catalytic convertor. Unless you're "in" with someone your best bet is a premade dp. Save up a little and buy a nice dp, it's a key to making good power.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
from what I've seen, becauseican's is VERY similar to the old defcon style, which is what I use, and absolutly love :)

kulangflow

Celica All-trac Turbo
Mar 30, 2005
UT
sirkus said:
Can anyone recommend a nice DP under 150.00

BIC DPs are not under $150 ... they are between $265 and $350 for the DDP. I'm sure they're definitely worth the asking price because I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them.

There are a few schools of thought here for the financially challenged.

1) If you can't afford a $265 dp, perhaps you shouldn't be buying one.
2) If you're serious about performance and are willing to spend the money for it, then just save up until you can afford the right piece.
3) Go cheap for now, save up for the better one later, then sell the cheap one on eBay.

I personally bought a Megan Racing dp on eBay for $70 and it has proven to be a decent upgrade for the price, because I was unwilling to pay 4-5 times that price for the performance difference at that time. A year later, I'm much more addicted to this machine, so a BIC DDP is probably in the near future and the MR dp will then go on eBay.

In other words ... check your budget, check your goals, then go to town! :)

Oh yeah .... there's always a chance you can get a used BIC on eBay if you're willing to wait long enough for one to come around.

Good luck!

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Don't get a standard, cheap DP - it helps with flow a bit, but doesn't eliminate the worst part of the exhaust system - the stock elbow!

Get something like a Cool-eeze (Suprasport), BIC or Defcon DP with an integrated high flow elbow. They're worth it.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea dont start buying cheep crap and then buy something better, just save up your money and do it once, its actualy cheeper to wait than to keep buying crap.

i got the 3'' cooleeze dp w/ 3'' elbow, omg it is fukin amazing. worth the price, i seriously seriously recommend saving up your money and getting one w/ the elbow. once you actualy get the elbow you'll thankyourself.

btw if your not willing to spend $$ to get this car up to performance level this is not your car, this isnt a honda.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
americanjebus said:
yea dont start buying cheep crap and then buy something better, just save up your money and do it once, its actualy cheeper to wait than to keep buying crap.

i got the 3'' cooleeze dp w/ 3'' elbow, omg it is fukin amazing. worth the price, i seriously seriously recommend saving up your money and getting one w/ the elbow. once you actualy get the elbow you'll thankyourself.

btw if your not willing to spend $$ to get this car up to performance level this is not your car, this isnt a honda.

I got the same, but regret not getting the ceramic coating.......besides that it's a great product. As others have said, teh BIC is supposed to be a really good product too.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea ceramic coating didnt seam worth $100 at the time but now i wish i had,
what got me about the cooleeze was that when i got it i could almost shove my arm downthrough the piping from the elbow side.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
im still a small guy. 5'6'' and i weigh like 135.

that just means i can reach more stuff that you cant in the engine bay. so take that before you make comments.

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
3.5 inch stainless :)

stainless%20021a.jpg

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
americanjebus said:

Oh... well in that case, give me your money to spend then. I'm willing to spend money then! ... j/k.. (about me not wanting to spend a lot of money, but you can still paypal me a bunch of money if you want. maseh34@yahoo.com)

But I figure I will go with the bic dp. Just buy the Dp one week (with the elbow), and then wait a week or so and buy the exhaust. Get them both installed at the same time. I just installed all new lift supports for my hood and hatch and stuff today. So I wasted a little money there, but I like not having to use a stick to hold my hood up.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
kulangflow said:
Oh yeah .... there's always a chance you can get a used BIC on eBay if you're willing to wait long enough for one to come around.

yeah right i've been watching ebay for a month waiting for one.....i all but gave up on that, havn't even seen one used for sale on SM, SF, VAsupras, or MDsupras.....

i've decided to start saving and just buy one....gonna be sweet :wuteva:

john