Leaking tail lights.. car warping?

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
I have a problem with water entering the back of my car through my tail lights.

(I thought that I could fix the problem by buying a set of JDM lights.. the smoked ones. I recieved them from the guy, who shipped them inside a box. Just a box. No plastic wrap. No bubble wrap. Nothing but the lights free inside the box. So when I finally recieved them, the center piece was in pieces and the lights were cracked all to hell and back. So I sent them back, and paypal paid me back. But I still have the problem with my lights leaking.)

I'm not sure why they just all-of-a-sudden started leaking. But this leads me to my thougts on the car warping. My rear trim is also begining to bend too.. It's almost like the cornor on the back of the car isnt tight enough to the car. It is starting to look bad. But I guess my question is, could I just use some silicone on the lights to get them to stop leaking? Or do I have to take the chance of trying to get a good set of lights? I have an 88, I just really want to get this problem fixed before rust starts building up in the rear of the car. I can only keep so much water out of the lights. But has anyone ever had a problem with the car bending and flexing and making the rear section not fit right? ( I know this sounds stupid) I'll take some pictures as soon as I can. I got a whole mess of questions about this car.. so I'll be around here alot searching the forums.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
car warping? well technically to a degree thats correct but not the problem (unless the car was rearended or something that bent the chassis) what you are experiencing is leaking seals. you have the pre89 trim with the metal tabs and im willing to bet they are just rusted out at this point causing it to move and bend.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
get some new crappy foam gaskets for the tails from the toyota dealer, and coat each side with a generous amount of grey RTV sealer. i did this, and i havent had a problem in over a year.

-shaeff

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
you might want to use your old ones (if they arent all shredded) as a template and make your own. the gaskets from toyota cost arond 30 bucks each if i remember correctly...... :icon_frow

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
lagged said:
you might want to use your old ones (if they arent all shredded) as a template and make your own. the gaskets from toyota cost arond 30 bucks each if i remember correctly...... :icon_frow

$40 each for pre-89
$37 each for 89+

Jay Marks discount prices.

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
I have replaced the seals, They are 36/seal from toyota. Had to wait 3 weeks for them. I got them, put them in. Had hopes that I wouldn't ever see water again. So I put all of the stuff back in the back of my car. 2 days later it was full of water again. So I looked all around the tail lights. It seems to be the tail light is coming apart from that black base part. (can't think of the names) The top part gets farther and farther everytime that I check it it seems. You can see the black line of water inside the light after it rains or after I get done washing it. It's just driving me crazy. I figured I could get some clear silicone stuff and put it inside the light and try to seal the light back to the housing. It's driving me nuts.. and it seems like the whole back section of my car is just going to shit. First its the tail lights, now my tints starting to bubble :( My hatch supports don't hold it up anymore. If it were a horse I would have shot it already.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
also your hatch. use the R/G/R method i found very effective
Remove/Goop/Replace!
using clear(or black if you're careful) RTV
R/G/R the following items:
hatch window trim, taillights, spoiler, and rear wiper seal thingy.