all suprmania/sf members need your advive

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
ok here it goes I sold my 88 n/a For 5,800 Canadian and I am located in Saskatchewan Canada. So i have been looking for a turbo supra and well there has been any at all I did happen to stumble apon this one and need some questions answered and some advice from my fellow supra owners. Ok here is the specs of the car its an 89 turbo with 5 speed and a targa top and its a white package. Comes with keyless entry and a 3 inch muffler. The body is in great shape paint is still great excpet for a tiny patch of surface rust on the back end about 2.5cmX2.5cm. The interior is in excellent shape as well. The guy is selling it for 2,500 Canadian one catch though.........ROD knocks.He says some bearing in the crankshaft is gone so it knocks. So Basiclly how much (in Canadian) would I be looking at for a rebuild??? I would get it done by a shop AND PLZ DON'T TELL ME TO DO IT MYSLEF. Also the car has 240,000km on it. I have 6,500 hundered to spend on a turbo supra so 2,500-6,500 gives me 4,000 for a rebuild. SO plz give me some advice and help me answer these questions also here are some pics of the car:
677828_32_full.jpg

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

thnx for the info or advice it is greatly appreciated :icon_razz

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
if that rust isnt too bad i say buy it brett. and i still think you should have sold me your hard top for $2000...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
LOL

buy it and fix it yourself
someone had to say it, and it will help you in the long run if you know everything about ur car.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
stanzaspeed said:
if that rust isnt too bad i say buy it brett. and i still think you should have sold me your hard top for $2000...
yeah I bet my hardtop would have been perfect but keep looking u will eventually find one with a nice toasted engine for cheap perfect for your swap.

too bad I didn't smash it more in its accident then it would have been sold for 2,000 :momaru:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
doom26464 said:
AND PLZ DON'T TELL ME TO DO IT MYSLEF

I wonder if theses 2 lines make any sense to u?? :dunno:

i got those to lines and i do read.
unless ur loaded with cash and know a mechanic who knows supras i would be scared to not do it myself and have someone else do it.
it was just a suggestion, if i came across as an ass, srry didnt mean to make it sound like that.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
doom26464 said:
AND PLZ DON'T TELL ME TO DO IT MYSLEF

I wonder if theses 2 lines make any sense to u?? :dunno:

If you don't want to do it yourself then I suggest you spend a really really long time investigating the background of any people that you might even consider letting touch your car. I made the mistake of letting the family mechanic look at my supra when we took it out of storage (where it had been for 6 years.) He told me that a new engine would not be worth it and that with a couple thousand bucks he could get the car running perfectly. First time I took it out after getting it back... I blew the nasty old head gasket that I don't even think he looked at. So make sure that your mechanic can actually work with supras.

Dave

W

w0rm

If you're not willing to do some work on your car yourself you might want to rethink a supra as your car unless you have some deep pockets... Maintainance is not cheap if you're paying someone to do everything... But I know you dont want to hear that so I will shut up now :eek:

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
You can rebuild your engine with $4000, the only catch is finding a machine shop that is willing to put the extra work in that the 7M requires. The tolerances that many V8 engines will accept are too loose for the 7M.

You're probably going to write me off as an asshole for what I'm about to say but I'm just trying to be honest. A 16 year old sports car is a poor choice if you're not willing to work on it. Parts aren't cheap and Mk3 repairs are labor intensive. Do what you want, just be aware that maintaining it is going to be very expensive if you're not turning the wrench yourself. If you refuse to/can't wrench maybe you should be looking at something newer with less miles. Older cars require work, older high performance cars require even more. If you plan on paying someone else to do the bulk of the work expect to spend a ton of money on this car.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
7MGTEJoe said:
You can rebuild your engine with $4000, the only catch is finding a machine shop that is willing to put the extra work in that the 7M requires. The tolerances that many V8 engines will accept are too loose for the 7M.

You're probably going to write me off as an asshole for what I'm about to say but I'm just trying to be honest. A 16 year old sports car is a poor choice if you're not willing to work on it. Parts aren't cheap and Mk3 repairs are labor intensive. Do what you want, just be aware that maintaining it is going to be very expensive if you're not turning the wrench yourself. If you refuse to/can't wrench maybe you should be looking at something newer with less miles. Older cars require work, older high performance cars require even more. If you plan on paying someone else to do the bulk of the work expect to spend a ton of money on this car.

Very good points - I'll add that I'm very reluctant to believe a distributor that sells a "JDM" engine. These things tend to sit in the back of the warehouse and rot out. Even if they "replaced" some parts on it, the engine is probably in need of a full rebuild.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
so basiclly im not sopuses to get it rebuilt from a mechanic who does this for a living and knows engines inside out and instead im sopuses to rebuild it and i don't have the proper tools or even have a clue as to whats to do??

I'll take my chances with the mechanic :crazy1: