How fast are those 3rd gen 92-94? RX-7 (FD)

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
I ran into one last night on voorhes (sp). It's red and i think it's completely stock. Stock exhaust, and i didn't see any aftermarket gauges at all in the interior.

anyway, my friend and i were just cruising and i saw him behind me. Drove for a while and when the road split up into 2 lanes, he got along the side of me.

we stay there side by side for about 5 seconds. I was admiring it LOL. I wanted to race him so bad evne though i had a feeling that i'm going to get killed.

all of the sudden, i hear him going for it. So i slammed on the gas. Turbo spooled up and we had to stop right away for a red light.

I rolled the window down, and he's like. i heard you spooled up, what you got done to it? just some basic mods i said. right after that, the light turn green and he took off.

i took off right after him (he got about 1/2 second head start). near redline of first gear, i was right besides him. as a shift into second, i had to stop right away because there was a car in front of me.

he continued on going and that's the last i saw of him. My friend was freaking out right afterward saying how sweet that whole ordeal was. He's like, man that was freaking awesome. i want a sport car now.

anyway, it was great because i didn't actually think i could be a match against it. but it end up better than i thought being that he took off before me (his rear bumper was next to my front) but i caught up right next to him in a very short time.

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
errr...they make non-turbo 3rd gen rx-7?

anyway, it's turbo because we both spooled up and it's loud. his blowoff valve is also obvious

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
obligatory - FD's were sold in the US from 93-95 and only came with twin turbos. 280hp stock isn't slow, and if you look under the hood you will see that the front part of the engine is right about even with the strut towers so they aren't front-heavy. damn sexy to boot

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
CtSupra said:
No, FD came n/a. They are all TT.

Well what are your mods, Kroze? If your stock and caught him like that - I would say he was pussyfootin' it.

Intake, Lex AFM, Bosch Spec 110 recirculation valve, AFPR, MBC @ 17psi
Downpipe, hiflow catalytic converter, 3" pipes & muffler.
60-1 w/10 degree clipped ct-26

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
I say it would be a VERY close race - depending on what he has done, as well. Don't forget that those engineering marvels have 700lbs on us. One of my favorite cars.

edit: i take that back. if he was stock it would be a close race race. if he's bpu - which most fd's ALWAYS are, forget it.

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
it was just so sweet. all you can hear is the sound of turbos spooling up. it was freaking LOUD.

and when the blow off valve & my recir valve releases the air, OMG.

I mean, you literally can only hear the turbos & BOV. No other noises exist at that time.

I didn't even hear my exhaust or engine :)

my friend was freaking out and like. shit! wtf! that sounded fucking awesome man.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Kroze said:
errr...they make non-turbo 3rd gen rx-7?

anyway, it's turbo because we both spooled up and it's loud. his blowoff valve is also obvious

I could have sworn I've seen an N/A FD... after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong though.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
:p

I've always wanted an FD actually, but I never really looked into it... from what I've discovered in the last 5 minutes, they all came with the 13B REW engine... which of course is TT. :)

I'll probably get one someday, we'll see ;).