Gas tank removal tips

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
so... i need to strip my rear end for welding/bodywork... so the gastank has got to go. how do i disconnect the lines/block them off before dropping the tank? or do they have slack so i can drop the tank then deal with the lines? is there a page in the tsrm for this? ahh i dont wanna end up with gass all over me

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
NATAN666 said:
so... i need to strip my rear end for welding/bodywork... so the gastank has got to go. how do i disconnect the lines/block them off before dropping the tank? or do they have slack so i can drop the tank then deal with the lines? is there a page in the tsrm for this? ahh i dont wanna end up with gass all over me

Take of the high presure line at the filter (use a 19mm to stop filter turning)
Remove the dust covers and remove the gas filler neck complete
Dont forget to unplug replug the pump

TSRM Fuel Tank

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
drain the tank (the end of a 3/8 drive extension fits the hole in the plug), put a jack under it, take off the dust cover (10mm I believe), take off the straps (17mm deep well), lower the tank and disconnect the lines and connectors. If you have flare-nut wrenches for the lines, it helps. As said, the filler neck doesn't need to be removed, if you take off the gas cap, it should drop free with the tank.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
woah good to know about not having to remove the filler neck.... i got thw two soft lines disconnected but im havign a damned bitch of a time with that flare nut thingy deal. my dad says he has a flare wrench so ill try and score that from him. where is the filter/where i shoudl disconnect the high pressure line relative to the flare-nut location.. this is my first time working on a car but im eager to learn

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
you don't have to remove the dust covers either. I've dropped my tank 6 times and never removed the dust cover. Put a jack under the tank, get the lines loose, take the straps loose, lower the tank about 6 inches with the jack, unplug the fuel pump and sending unit, sit the tank on the ground and you are done :)

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I wouldn't remove the filler neck unless you plan to use a new gasket, it's likely become brittle by now.
I wonder if there is enough slack to lower the tank and then unbolt the fuel pump bracket assembly? You wouldn't have to mess with seized lines then and could just pull the tank away. I can't remember if there was enough room.
FWIW, the lines to the filter (fuel) may be seized. We had to run a new section of line due to this and no one seemed to have metric fuel line large enough so we had to adapt to 3/8" for a section.
Brian W

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
drain the tank before doing anything.. the tank can be fairly heavy with gas in it.. drain is easy to do... just need a proper container to hold gasoline. do not take shortcuts when it comes to gasoline!!

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
hmm well i remember the tank being fairly empty.... where is the drain plug? i dunno if i have a jeryy can big enough, but i dont have more than $6 worth of gas in there..

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
ok this this fuckin flared nut thing on the high pressure line is pissing me off.. no matter how hard i try with two wrenches it just wont come loose, ive soaked it in liquid wrench too but no luck.. am i turning it the wrong way? ive got the little nut loosening as a normal and the big nut turning the opposite way? fuck i need help... i cant even find the fuel filter either to try and disconnect it from there... GAh

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
the drain plug is the circular thing on the bottom of the tank with a counter-sunk square in it....stick your head under there and you'll see it. As I said in one of my other posts, a 3/8 drive extension fits in there perfectly.

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
Drain plug is right in the middle of the bottom of the tank, 3/8", can't miss it. You don't have to replace the gasket on there either once you open it. Oh and don't forget to unhook the 2 plugs from inside the hatch above the tank before dropping.

It's good to visualize before doing - http://www.jblmk3.com/id82.htm

I just removed my tank for the first time to install a walbro fuel pump. Due to age I literally twisted 1/2 of the mounting brackets and fuel lines. So be prepared you may have to replace stuff back there. I would also suggest getting a new fuel filter back there while all of this is out if it has never been changed.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
hahah I mentioned that in one of my earlier posts.......flare nut wrenches are the only way to go for those fuel line fittings........now if I could only remember the size. ;)

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
heh well thanks for the help guys.. im going to have to hassle my dad to bring me the flare nut wrench as vise grips and a pair of waterpump pliers isnt working gaaarrrrr

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Natan: Even with the flarenut wrench mine was "FT" ;)
(it's a scientific torque setting "fuc**ng tight")

I always wonder why things that are almost impossible to get to are done up so damn tight!