speaker moldings

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
is it possiable to take the plastic speaker holders from a 91 supra and take them and put them into the doors of a 88 supra?
so i could upgrade them from 4" to 6.5", sound way better.
-sean

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yes, they fit. it's a bolt in upgrade. i wish i had a set of 90-92 speaker pods so i didnt have to custom mount my 6.5 rockfords.

you're a lucky man. you should use the door skin that goes with them too, as there is a larger opening for the speakers, or just CAREFULLY widen the ones in your car now, to let some extra sound out. :) happy listening!

-shaeff

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
I've got those pods in my '87 now actually. Shaeff is right however, the speaker will sit below the opening on your door... a little less than half of the speaker will be visible through the panel opening. Not sure how much of the door panel could actually be trimmed down however. I personally haven't tried to do that. Nonetheless, I noticed a big improvement in sound!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
shaeff said:
yes, they fit. it's a bolt in upgrade. i wish i had a set of 90-92 speaker pods so i didnt have to custom mount my 6.5 rockfords.

you're a lucky man. you should use the door skin that goes with them too, as there is a larger opening for the speakers, or just CAREFULLY widen the ones in your car now, to let some extra sound out. :) happy listening!

-shaeff

man matt you really dont trust me do you? thanks Shaeff for telling him THE EXACT SAME THING I TOLD HIM!

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
They will fit perfectly! BUT,you will need to do some trimming depending on what type of tweeter you get for proper imaging.I got another set and mounted them to the mirror backing to just be sure.Nothint a Dremel won't fix!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MKIIINA said:
man matt you really dont trust me do you? thanks Shaeff for telling him THE EXACT SAME THING I TOLD HIM!

haha, you're welcome! :)

Bishop92T said:
FYI the 91-92 door panels are identical to the 86.5-90. All they did was trim the crap out of them to fit the larger grills.

that's good to know! :icon_bigg

-shaeff

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
Joe its ok man, i just was finding out how to do this.
its only info man only info. no fighting here please. LOL!!
i am only doing coaxials, so i wont be having to cut up the door like supraman7mgte.
i am just going to try and find some 90-92 pods and put them in my car. i will check out how much i have to mechine out to fit the 6.5".

how about the rear speakers? is there really no hope of fitting 6.5"s in those locations? so far the only size i could think to fit in there is 5.25".
lmk!!
-sean

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I was going to do the same thing, get some 91,92 pods... peice of cake right? They go for 80, 90, upto 100 dollars on eBay!

forget that :rolleyes: I took the pod factory, used a little bit of mdf and fiberglass and made my own.

imagine i taken care of with the component tweeter :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, i used an old erector set to custom mount my rockford fosgate 6.5's in doors of my 86.5 :) it's actually a clean install too, and i wish i'd taken pics. my rockfords have a movable component mounted in the center of the woofer, so i just angled it up toward me.

-shaeff

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
shaeff:
i believe old erector sets are more handy now than they were when we used them as kids!!! i've fabbed a couple non-supra things out of old pieces and have a couple ideas for supra related things too... haha

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
There's really nothing special about the 91-92 "boxes" It's simply a bracket that lets you bolt the speakers into the door. There's no box or anything, just a dinky bracket anyone could make. It really does help with sound though, much nicer mids.

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
so what would be the best way to go about this speaker thing i have encountered?
grind out the stock speaker pods or get the 91,92 pods or something else?
-sean