Degrees for timing

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Thanks for the previous inputs. I purchased a Sears timing gun and was wondering what degree to set the timing to as 10.5 is for the stock spec.

I have the Lexus/550 mod with an electronic boost controller. I usually boost to 12 PSI.

Is there a range anyone can give me as far as degrees (like 10.5 to 12.0) ?

I need to check the timing as the car idles with a miss. It's one of the things I have never checked or done myself.

As a humorous side note: when I went to Sears the two clerks in the department where the Timing Gun was located did not know what I was talking about. I asked if they had timing guns and where they were located. This is really what they said:

1- One guy said "What kind of gun? You're in the wrong department." I said "Timing gun - a timing light -- it's probably near the multimeters"...
2- The other guy said, "Is this timing light for your house?". I said "No, no, no, for my car."
3- One of them said, "Your car?" I proceeded to explain what it was, what it is used for, etc.
4- One of them said, "Ummm, let me get the manager - he's old -- he'll know".

I finally did get it and yes, it was next to the multimeters. I was just surprised that these guys (looked like 18 to 22 year olds) had no idea.