Shimmed wastegate "To do"or "Not to do?"

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
I've been on this site for a few months now learning more and more everyday. I checked out the "How Too" list on cheap and easy upgrades. Well lets just say I have around 7k on a complete rebiult JDM motor(worried of another bhg) rehoned cylinders, chromoly rings,HKS 1.2mm hg,ARP studs,MSD wires,NGK plugs,electric fans,cold air intake(front bumper) and full 3" from turbo back,hard upper pipe w/Greddy Type-S and a few other little things. Well I was reading up on shimming the wastegate to get more boost and tapping out the MAF to get more air(we run rich right!) Anyway I couldn't believe how easy all that stuff was to do. I had extra longer bolts layin around the garage so I shimmed it to (5) 8mm washers and holy shit did it make a difference. Before my gauge would just barely hit 8pds now it pegs out so fast I think the needle is going to break off. Is shimming my WG going to do any damage??? I checked my turbo which has NO shaft play at all and spins very freely(low mileage from JDM motor). I know you should boost hard on shitty turbos. Thanks fellas Later-T

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
get a good aftermarket boost gauge to moniter your boost...

shimming is safe, to an extent. you need to moniter boost. but why not just spend the $25 on a MBC? after all, you just spent $7k on the motor, why cheap out now?

-shaeff

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
Sorry I have 7,000 miles. My motor; including labor only cost me around $3,000.(I have a good/cheap mechanic) I should get a boost gauge. I've just been spending my money on a bunch of different things(wheels,teins,ect....) I'm also trying to stay away from the cheap way out(I only want to buy things once). I've been looking at either the Apexi AVC-R or Greddy E-04. I'd like to get a set of nice gauges to manage my boost,a/f,oil,water, egt. What gauges would you suggest for around the $500 range?? Thats my next upgrade. Along with doing those things yesterday I also did the fog light trick and window 1 touch up. Yesterday was Supra Day. Not mothers day...ok well it was but I live about 2k miles away from mine. All that stuff was soo easy I don't know why I waited so long. Anyway thanks for the advice. Later-T