How to raise Fuel Cut with the stock AFM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
This slight modification of the Stock AFM will raise fuel cut for most cars. I have done this and run 12.5 psi daily with the stock turbo.

1: Remove AFM from car.
2: Locate aluminum plug covering air screw.(pic1&2)
3: I used a 1/4 inch drill bit to drill out the plug. I also had to jiggle the bit around to remove all of the plug after I had drilled through.(pic3)
4: Using a flat-head screwdriver turn the screw until it is no longer visable from the inside of the AFM. (pic4)

As I said before this will work differently on different cars,(pertaining to the Kaarman Vortex of metering air by frequency*?* not by boost pressure) but I have hit 15 psi with no signs of fuel cut. I have "heard" of people running close to 18psi without FC. Please make sure your fuel system is up to handling the extra boost before you go cranking too high. Happy Boosting!

Attachments

• AFM 001.jpg
    AFM 001.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 848
  • AFM 003.jpg
    AFM 003.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 786
  • AFM 006.jpg
    AFM 006.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 752
  • AFM 007.jpg
    AFM 007.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 731

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I have the aeromotive FPR and bumped up the pressure to about 46lbs at WOT. no joke.

I am honestly kind of scared of the FC.....its weird...I cant full throttle the thing hahahahahha I feel like the car will stall and never come back on hahahahahh

I guess I need to get over that. I am just SOOO cautious of driving my car "too hard" since I rebuilt it.....I am soo careful with it, but drift it around every corner I can? LOL......

I will drill the AFM and back out the screw today....

anywho, Ken you coming to the meet this saturday?

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
No. The stock FPR does not have any adjustment ability..and its way too restrictive and old anyhow to undergo new load pressures of fuel.

Just by the aeromotive ( or any other GOOD aftermarket FPR) and hook it up....its worth the time and money for future benefit.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
The stock afm with this mod is good for the stock turbo. I'm not going to push anymore than 13psi with this mod. The Lexus afm will allow for alot more un-metered airflow and thus a higher FC. Another option to the Lex AFM, that has had amazing reviews, is the MAF-T. When I upgrade my turbo I will be using a MAF-T set up.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
i have a 89 supra 7m-gte with the metal hg , egr blockoff plate, cold air kit and hks evc4 valve controler. stock afm and i run about 9 pounds on the street. as soon as i turn on the evc i hit about 14 pounds of boost and no fuel cut off. almost ready to put on another turbo and the lexus afm and 550cc injectors. never had a problem with fuel cut.

S

shuyin559

boost fiend said:
i have a 89 supra 7m-gte with the metal hg , egr blockoff plate, cold air kit and hks evc4 valve controler. stock afm and i run about 9 pounds on the street. as soon as i turn on the evc i hit about 14 pounds of boost and no fuel cut off. almost ready to put on another turbo and the lexus afm and 550cc injectors. never had a problem with fuel cut.

so what is the egr block off plate anyways?. but how can that cause not to cut fuel?. please let me know more info on how to stop fuel cut. thanks

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
shuyin559 said:
so what is the egr block off plate anyways?. but how can that cause not to cut fuel?. please let me know more info on how to stop fuel cut. thanks
EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculation, Its for emissions purposes, I'm not sure exactly how it works. With the EGR system removed and block off plates in place, it de-clutters the engine bay a bit and allows the engine to run a little cleaner because exhaust is not being circulated into the intake. It has nothing to do with FCO. I have hit 16psi on my stock turbo with the stock AFM. So 14psi isn't that uncommon.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Oh yeah guys....it works!

I was running ( like a month ago before the turbo blew) 14-15lbs of boost on the stocker AFM. No fuel cut whatsoever.

I already have bought a lexus afm and what not...but thats waiting to be put on later for another reason :naughty:

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
ma71supraturbo said:
You do realize that the aeromotive is a rising rate regulator (increasing fuel pressure 1lb for every 1lb of boost)?

is it really? I tuned it on idle with the vacuum hose off and set the gauge ( fuel pressure gauge on the regulator) to 28-30psi...right at stock...

I had no clue it was a rising rate regulator...LMAO

thanks Jeff!

-Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.