Steering Rack...

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
Ok so I was in an accident about a month ago and I just got around to swapping my steering rack out of my 87 turbo into my 89 turbo... and while there is a little bit of a difference I believe I've got it all hooked up right... accept the power steering lines... the main ones that go into the rack... would that really affect anything... I mean as long as fluid is going in and out... any help is greatly appreciated as I will be finishing this up in the next day or two...

thanx,
Patrick

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
87 and 89 have two different racks, depending on your 89. The 89 could have progressive steering so it would have a electical connector running down to it.

I am not sure if you can just switch then over

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Heh, what do you think the fluid is for? Just lubrication? No, you need those lines hooked up correctly as there is a hydraulic cylinder in the rack which is the whole means of power steering. So one line is a return line and one an input line.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
steve_mk3 said:
87 and 89 have two different racks, depending on your 89. The 89 could have progressive steering so it would have a electical connector running down to it.

I am not sure if you can just switch then over

I know... I think I mentioned in my first post that they were different... and I already have the 87 in there... and the 89 did have progressive steering... I'm just going to leave it out...

supraaaddict87 said:
If you have ran the lines properly theres only one way for them to go on. Its been awhile since i've done mine.

I have those lines in correctly... actually I meant the ones from the pump itself... but thank you though...