Tranny abuse....

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
I was wondering how well the R154 takes abuse. I've read somewhere that these trannies are bulletproof to the end. Has anybody ever blown this tranny?

I went to the track a couple of days ago and missed third gear alot. For some reason it feels wierd throwing it at high rpms. Its my first time at drag strip with my car and never dragged on the street, so I figure if there is a problem it was done with previous owners.

I guess my real question is has anyone ever broken one of these trannies?
When I got the car it had a thrown bearing and was still stock.

I'm hoping changing the fluid over to synthetic would help.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
People have... as you can see. But they are a pretty stout unit, especially concidering the age of most of them.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I've NEVER abused a tranny in my life!

tranny.jpg

(And I've never blown an R154 either, but I'm not high-powered).

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
haha..jeff...haha ahemmm.*gathers dignity* I used to miss-shift and grind alot when downshifting. I ran 2 quarts of Redline MT-90 w/ 1 quart of GM synchronmesh and I stopped grinding and didn't miss as many shifts. Now I'm running full Synchromesh and its heaven.

PS replace the shifter bushings that will help guide your shifts too.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I've blown one r154 at the dragstrip on a hard 1-2 shift. Lost all but 3rd gear. I never had it rebuild, but I did take it apart and found a small broken chrome ring :wtf:

I'm currently on another used r154 (the first came from a parts car when i converted to 5spd from auto) and this one feels much better.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
I am on my second R154 in about 1 year of having my supra. with the first one the shift linkage and the 1-2 syncro f@#ked up. well see how much this one holds up.

jorge

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
ma71supraturbo said:
I've blown one r154 at the dragstrip on a hard 1-2 shift. Lost all but 3rd gear. I never had it rebuild, but I did take it apart and found a small broken chrome ring :wtf:

I'm currently on another used r154 (the first came from a parts car when i converted to 5spd from auto) and this one feels much better.

That broken ring is the first gear thrust washer.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
So I'm going to just change the fluid and see what happens. I hope it works and I could take it back to the track and put down some better times and not worry about missing third.:x:

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
I'm noticing a clunking noise when shifting from 1-2nd when under heavy load. It used to be hard to put it in but after forcing it so many times I think I might of broke something. Is it worth rebuilding one or buying a used one???? I recently changed my fluid to Mobil-1 synthetic. Thanks sorry not my thread to ask but oh well.