FFIM Question... Probally dumb

• Thread starter kermitthefrayer
  • Start date
K

kermitthefrayer

I was wondering if anyone had any input here.

The 7M factory intake manifold is fed from the center. Which would lead me to believe that the air takes a equal amout of time to pressurize both ends of the tank. With a FFIM it would seem that it would take long to fill the 5th and 6th cylinder entry ways with air.

Am I thinking about this wrong???

So besides a shorter/longer pipe set up, that does or does not pass over the turbo and engine, intercooler fitment and availability issues, and engine bay space issues.

Does any one have any other pros cons ect for each set up...

And has any one dynoes with and with out a FFIM setup?

Sorry if this sounds dumb... Flame away if you like.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
Does anybody have the flow characteristics (sp?) of both a FFIM and the stock manifold. I remember reading it before and our stock manifold did flow better.

So I guess our stock manifold is good because of its equal flow, but on the down side it takes more piping to route it and pressurize before entering the engine and heat.

jjh

The Chairman
Mar 30, 2005
Louisiana
Pressure is pressure from what i understand. Your force feeding air into the motor. From what I have read the ffi's are better then the stocker for a couple reasons one being shorter pipeing.

CassMori

Boost Addict
one of the cons of an FFI is that the alternator and/or battery must be relocated.
As far as dyno testing, I think Kruso from SF may have done a before & after, but not sure. Straight before/after comparisons will probably be hard to find, as most people upgrade their IC & piping, and more importantly, the throttle body when they go to an FFI. HTH :)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
once the manifold is seeing positive pressure, all cylinders are being fed equally.

off boost? well...who cares! :biglaugh:

seriously though, toyota felt that the design was good so they incorporated a FFI on the 2jzgte motor. (notice the 2jzge uses the same intake manifold design as the 7mge)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
We're talking some pretty high Air speeds here so maybe for a millisecond or less coming onto boost there may be uneven filling!

400 cfm = 164 mph = 0.21 mach on 2.25" pipes now work out how far it is from the TB to the 6th intake runner and you can see what I mean.

If the motors were NA I could see it being an issue. ;)