info on MAP ECU?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, instead of going the MAFT route I was thinking about buying PHR's MAP ECU system. Though it is much more expensive then installing a MAFT in blow through alone, it also has tuning ability like a better stand alone fuel controller like an SAFC or similar. And I can use a MAP system instead of an air metering system of sorts. I was wondering if there were any real downsides to it, or any difficulties. A couple things I was wondering specifically were:

-initial tuning, does it require setting up fuel maps or is it just like another piggyback starting with zero correction and you work from there? I don't want to run so lean to begin with that I blow up my motor.

-Does it disable the factory fuel cut in any way? I would like to leave it enabled for my own sanity.

I will have a wideband 02 and a plethora of monitoring do-dads before I make this buy.

Thanks for any input!

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
For maximum power/efficiency yes you do need to do it (tuning). However what you can do is hook it up and keep the afm on. It can pickup the readings from the afm and copy them, giving you at least a base map. I'm pretty sure you can also download at least a driveable base map from their website, both stock and 550 injectors.
It doesn't get rid of the fuel cut, but much like the SAFC and other air/fuel controllers, you can basically get rid of it with tuning.
I have one, but due to car problems I haven't been able to use it. In my opinion it's basically like having a VPC and an air/fuel controller with a larger degree of tuning capabilities.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The VPC completely removes FCO. I don't believe the MAP ECU does, it does have a clamp function but the VPC removes FCO without clamping. If you clamp your AFM signal the ECU won't add more fuel past that point.