Milan Dragway Test and Tune May 11

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
To all in Michigan and the general area,

Planning a trip to Milan this Wednesday, May 11 for test and tune, weather permitting(looks good so far). To those not familiar, it starts at 4:00pm and runs until 9:30, its better to get there early for the most runs. $20 bucks to race and $10 to spectate. Tentatively, it looks like me and Blue87T(Dan). Anyone else?

Brent

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Come on boys, nothing else to do on a Wednesday evening. Lets go racing.

Brent,

I posted this on SF in the midwest section as well. It will probably be just us though unless Adam shows.

Dan

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
Yeah Yeah, I got it, "only" 10psi :)
Nah, I understand its not that fun when your not going for your best, me, I'll be happy with low 14s this time around and then next time mr. mbc will make an appearance, then anywhere in the 13s will be good, for this season anyway. I don't have enough tire or clutch for anything better than that.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
thank you weather, for sucking. i guess i should have scheduled a day that was predicted to rain. "Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait till next year." Now this one can drift off to island of misfit threads.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
requirements:
-proof of reg
-proof of ins.
-valid state license
-good working car (have to pass a basic tech, need battery hold down, fluid catch cans and all lug studs)
-an SA95 or newer helmet is required, but they have loaners.

i think that's it...be sure to bring comfortable shoes as you work a shift on the course too...sunscreen if it's sunny, food, etc. i'll give you guys the crash course fo sho.

you need to get there early. tech opens @ 10, first heat starts @ 11 or so. i'd get there around 9-9:30ish to get your car cleaned out (NOTHING can be inside) and get settled in. that way you can get through tech early and have walked the course a few times.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
Hey Dr.j

I have a problem, or do I? I went to get an alignment done and was told they couldn't do it because the upper control arm and wheel bearing were loose on the left side. I'm not sure which left side since I forgot to ask. I plan to get the car up in the air today and see what I can see/feel. Looking at the repair manual it looks like a pain in the ass to replace the wheel bearing, and I probably couldn't get the parts in time for this sunday. To be honest I dont feel anything while driving the car, it tracks straight and turns fine. So, the question is, do you think I could run on sunday with it like this or is my wheel going to fall off.:)

By the way, do you know of any good place around here that sells auto helmets? One of the cheapest I could find online was one from Bell for $299 SA2000, but I'd like to make sure I get the right size, so fitting would be nice. It looks like the sizes for moto helmets are different so I couldn't just go to one of those places to get sized.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
w/the car on the ground, grab the wheel and shake it, see if you can feel any play. that's about all they'll do on sunday. i'm guessing it's fine.

dunno of any local place that sells helmets. ramchargers might. i'd just order from summit, you'll have it next day. FYI- the gforce open face is $150 or so (i think?). gforce, RCI, etc. are all cheap brands of stuff.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
Awesome, I'll try that with the wheel, and thanks for the info on the helmets, I'll look into it.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I'm going to bring my motorcycle helmet and see what happens.

Brent, we can meet at Ecorse and 94. It shouldn't be more than 20 minutes from there.

Adam, what time are you showing? That way we can be "not knowing the drill" with a guide the first time, instead of just "not knowing the drill".

This should be fun stuff. What is the max speed you might attain running the course.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
yeah, all the relatively cheap helmets <$200 were an M2000 rating, I was under the impression that wasn't as good as SA and therefore not good enough. Also I was looking for a full face helmet, that way no one could see my "Oh shit!" face right before I lose it.:)

Hey dan on the same note the top speed you probably can get to is probably between :icon_bigg and :eek: maybe a little slower when its wet.
The ecorse exit will be fine with me, let me know when you have a set time. You don't happen to have a cell phone do you, I can give you my number in case one of us is running late.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Blue87T(Dan) said:
I'm going to bring my motorcycle helmet and see what happens.

Brent, we can meet at Ecorse and 94. It shouldn't be more than 20 minutes from there.

Adam, what time are you showing? That way we can be "not knowing the drill" with a guide the first time, instead of just "not knowing the drill".

This should be fun stuff. What is the max speed you might attain running the course.

i'll prob be there around 9ish, who knows. it's no biggie showing up early, like i said it will give you time to empty out your car and talk to peeps.

you probably won't get out of 2nd gear (depends on lot size), so figure MAYBE 50 MPH or so...

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
lanternman said:
yeah, all the relatively cheap helmets <$200 were an M2000 rating, I was under the impression that wasn't as good as SA and therefore not good enough. Also I was looking for a full face helmet, that way no one could see my "Oh shit!" face right before I lose it.:)

Hey dan on the same note the top speed you probably can get to is probably between :icon_bigg and :eek: maybe a little slower when its wet.
The ecorse exit will be fine with me, let me know when you have a set time. You don't happen to have a cell phone do you, I can give you my number in case one of us is running late.

you have to pay to play. SA rated helmets are good for multiple impacts (i.e. your head banging around inside the car), M rated helmets are good for a single impact. most autoxs and track days require SA rated helmets. summit lists the RCI full face helmet for $250. jegs has gforce open face helmets for $150 and full face for $250.

nope, dan doesn't have a cell. ;)

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I'm thinking I will probably not get out of second gear through the track.

No cell, but I might be able to get my daughters.

We will get there early and hope Adam gets his ass out of bed.

I'll get with you and we will figure out the times.

Anybody else is welcome.