Curiosity has gotten the better of me...

Race Bred

Mar 30, 2005
Tallahassee, Fl
I have been considering this setup:

2jz Aristo engine/U.S. 2jz oil pan (or a70 1j) / 1j engine mounts/ 1j bell housing w/ r-154

Now what I have been wondering about is the electronics. Let me know if this would work and if there are any holes in the plan:

U.S. engine harness and U.S. mkIV aem along with the associated wiring to fit it in the a70 chassis. Would the American harness work on the Aristo engine as far as connections? I know the map/maf issue but this would be resolved during the aem install (aem map sensor wired into the U.S. harness). Thoughts?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
This is very similar to my plan. I will be buying an Aristo front clip. I have a UK [same as US spec, but shorter - I will extend it] TT auto wiring harness. I have removed all wires that are only for use with an auto tranny Supra. I am buying a solenoid resistor, as I will be using some US 550cc injectors. I also have a MAF, stock US cams and a 6-speed TT OBD I ECU. From what I've heard, you NEED a 6-speed ECU if you are not using an Auto, but I have not confirmed this.

To mount the 2JZ, you need the late model MkIII [late 89+] crossmember [round, fluid-filled motor mounts], just as you would with the 1JZ. You also need 1JZ aluminum engine mounting brackets, and to pound on your firewall a little to make clearance for the twin turbos. Since the Aristo is mid-sump, you need a different upper oil pan, and lower one if they are different [I decided to not take any chances and bought one]. You will also need the baffle and strainer. That takes care of getting it in there.
Now as far as using the R154, you will need a 1JZ bellhousing and flywheel, some 2JZ flywheel bolts, and probably a new clutch and support hardware. I also heard from Arnout that the way this all mounts, your shifter is a little closer to the stereo, and you may need a short shifter or to space the bellhousing a little somehow from the block.

Are you planning on starting your car with the EMS, or are you going to run it regular for awhile, and then switch to the EMS?

I don't plan to go with the EMS immediately, so I tried to get my stuff as close to a stock US spec car would have. I could drive it like that and save money for the EMS ad support hardware. Then I could eventually load the Supra base maps and tune.

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
In regards to using a r154 it will still sit in the same stock location, unless the 2j block sits differently than the 1j block. You can use any 7m clutch assembly as long as you are using the r154. Then just get some 4age flywheel bolts.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
psifactor said:
In regards to using a r154 it will still sit in the same stock location, unless the 2j block sits differently than the 1j block. You can use any 7m clutch assembly as long as you are using the r154. Then just get some 4age flywheel bolts.

The 1JZ bellhousing is reported to be a little bit shorter than the 7M..

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Race Bred said:
Thanks for the info... Anyone foresee any problems with the American harness and the Jap motor?

There are some differences. That is why I am just converting it to US spec.
US harness has provisions for the MAF instead of MAP, and resistor pack for the injectors.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah. US harness and US ecu.

the 1JZ bellhousing IS shorter by about 1cm. but the slip-yoke on the driveshaft is enough to take up that difference. you may have to change the rear tranny x-member since the entire tranny is going to shift 10mm forward. or slot the mount holes on the stock x-member. i ended up using the stock JZA70 cross member when i did the last swap.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I'm using the 1J bellhousing and the R154...everything fit and stayed where it was supposed to, from the flywheel back. No other modification was necessary for the tranny to work with my 1JZ and the 2JZ.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
thats really weird, because the 1JZ bellhousing is ~10mm SHORTER than the 7M bell housing, so the whole tranny DOES shift forward, meaning the rear tranny x-member does too. and i know i had a problem getting the bolt holes to line up when reusing the MA70 rear tranny x-member. i had to switch out the JZA70 x-member.

however, the driveshaft was no big deal. it still has enough engagement on it... so the jza70 DS isnt needed.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Race Bred said:
any chance that the engine mount center point is shifted back 10mm on the j series? Good info...

I hadn't measured anything and just took Arnout's and other info as gospel. I am using the 1990 X-member, 1JZ motormounts/brackets, and bellhousing/tranny with my 2JZ setup now and the tranny still bolts up where it used to with the 7M and the 1JZ.

I was wanting to avoid further modifications to make the V160 fit and just went with "stock" from the bellhousing back.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
its hard to say, since the entire engine is of different dimensions. i think the overal length of the JZ's are slightly longer anyways. but i know the rear journal of the crank shaft sticks out past the bellhousing flange, this is how toyota was able to shorten the 1jz bellhousing, still have pilot bearing engagement yet make sure the input shaft didnt stick out past the bellhousnig flange.