First time at the track

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
Went to the track for the first time ever. I realy didn't want to go, but I was interested what the car would do before I start modding. The car is stock besides a intake and shock/springs.

I did about seven runs.

First one I did 15.254 at 93.01 with a 2.455 60'. The 60' could be better but its my first run ever at the track and I never realy ever launched my car before.

The next five runs were horrible. I missed third on a couple, red lighted on one and missed third completley and threw it to fifth(don't laugh because its embarassing)

My last run was my best.

15.121 at 93mph with a 2.299 60'

My tires realy suck because I bought them from a used tire place because i realy needed them. Actually they weren't that bad, just not good track tires, but their round so they work.

I know i should know this by now, but what is the 1/4 times for these cars stock.

Hopefully in the next month or two I will have some more power mods so i could head back to the track and lay down some better numbers.

DDp is on its way. Money order was sent out a couple of days ago. 2-3 weeks to deliverey, maybe 4. :bigthumb:

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Not a bad time for a nearly stock car. An intake alone doesn't really add much power, but after adding a full exhaust and boost controller it'll really make a difference.

As for stock times, the fastest I'm aware of is ~14.9@97. You are trapping quite a bit lower than that, so you 15.1 is impressive. I bet that your stock cats are fairly clogged after 20 years and however many miles, so I wouldn't worry.

Your 60' time could come down a bit, but its still respectable. Did you get an alignment done after installing the springs? What tire pressure did you run in the rear?

At any rate, once you get that DDP installed (and a test pipe & catback), your car will be a whole new animal. You'll probably have to relearn the launch slightly, but based on your current times I'd expect mid 14's. A boost controlled would probably drop you down to the low 14's, and given a good launch, possibly high 13's.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
I didn't get the alignment done yet because I've been working so damn much. I was running 27psi in the back tires. And I think i would of broke 15 seconds but after so many third geat misses I kinda had to baby it going into third.

My last run was with a v8 mustang, sounded like he had basic mods(intake, headers,exhaust) I had him off the line and all the way to the middle of third.
I did pretty much baby it into third because a friend of mine watching me run said that it look like I lost power in third and fourth because I had a good distance on the mustang.

Mustang's time:14.754 at 95.08 with a 2.323 60'

I don't know but I might need a new tranny because third realy sucks to shift into when I drag it, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions. I'm going to change the tranny fluid first and see how it feels and then go nuts if i need a new one or rebuilt.

P

Pokey

congrats on the times, very close to what i ran, my first trip down the 1/4 in my car with just intake, i ran a 15.0 at 93.X, other than that everything is stock with a 2.3 60ft i think, i cant wait till i get my engine rebuilt with mhg and start putting some goodies on her,

my car also dynoed 225whp and 272wtq with intake and shimmed wastegate at 8psi in chicago supra meet in 2004, but the 1/4 run was done at sacramento raceway park, my best time with the car was a 14.6 at 93.9 with a 2.2 60ft

jeff

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Under 2.0 is descent. 1.8 is real good but I honestly dont know how much power you need to get off the line like that. My best is a 1.96 on Nitto DRs but I think they have a little more traction in em and Im not launching hard enough.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
Yeah 15.1 is a good time. My first time I ran a best of 15.7, I don't remember traps or 60ft times, and no its not because I'm that bad a driver. Aparrently my turbo wasn't in the greatest shape, it would still make boost, it would just take all day to do it i.e. nothing in 1st, started in 2nd and "pulled hard" in 3rd, but then again, like you, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be running.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
So I guess my last run was pretty damn good with a 60' of 2.299 using some bullshit tires I got from a used tire place in the Bronx for cheap.