7m grounding points?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
well, i have a bit of an electrical problem, to say the least.
i know i have shitty grounds, but the only problem is i dont know where i went wrong. according to my greddy turbo timer's voltmeter 'feature', i'm only pulling 13.2 volts at idle (650rpm) with headlights on. with headlights off, i only gain .1 volt, with headlights on and reverse lights on, i get like 12.9-13.0 volts. when i slipped the clutch and brought it down to about 500rpm, the volts dropped to like 11.7

there just seems to be an incredible strain on my electrical system. i know i could use brighter headlights and my wipers suck on high.... i need to fix it. if someone could please tell me what to ground, i'd be in debt to you for a while.

thanks,
kurt

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
really, huh? maybe it's a fault in the factory alternator...
does anybody know more about the mr2 replacement?
either part number or exact application?

thanks again,
kurt

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra90turbo said:
really, huh? maybe it's a fault in the factory alternator...
does anybody know more about the mr2 replacement?
either part number or exact application?

thanks again,
kurt

here ya go bud!

MR2 alternator writeup

-shaeff

SoupedUpSupra

The guy.
Mar 31, 2005
Sonoma County, Norcal
If you want to boost your voltage, I recommend doing this:
4 gauge to 100 amp fuse to alternator. I also have several 4 gauge ground wires strategically placed. With only the radio on, I see 14.3 volts at idle on the stock alternator.

Attachments

• alternatorwire.jpg
    alternatorwire.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 75

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
in all reality...your problem is not that severe...as long as you dont drop below 9.7 your electrical system will run fine...

as for fixing it you can easily just start grounding random parts of the block etc to the chassis and see if it helps...

as we are speaking about grounds... i have my ground wire that is supposed to be hooked up to the tranny/bellhousing bolt kinda just hanging... i rewired my reverse lights...or so i thought but they still dont work...would the ground hangning be why? is that a direct ground for that connection?

just a thought..obviously im gonna hook it up regardless... :D

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
ideal:
no.

mine's hanging too. i just tied it in a knot around one of the exhaust hangers...

i couldnt remember where it bolted to and it said fuck it. my reverse lights work fine.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
supra90turbo said:
ideal:
no.

mine's hanging too. i just tied it in a knot around one of the exhaust hangers...

i couldnt remember where it bolted to and it said fuck it. my reverse lights work fine.

damnit...i guess ill have to trouble shoot them one of these days...i really dont care too much though lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Idealsupra said:
damnit...i guess ill have to trouble shoot them one of these days...i really dont care too much though lol

my ground strap is cut, i still have backups. might wanna check out the switch for backup lights in the tranny, or the "lamp failure box"

-shaeff