My 90-T w/$300 maaco paintjob 1 year update.

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
So it's 1 year has past with my $300 maaco paintjob. And here is my car as of now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
For 300 bucks, and going through the hellish NJ weather, looks damn good IMO. Watch your temp tho ;)

Turkish

Apr 4, 2005
looks how I would expect a 300 dollar paint job to look, nice sup though

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
MKIIINA said:
what happened to the rear drivers side bumper and underskirt? doesnt look half bad though

a hummer h2 ran up to it and cracked all the paint & pulled the bumper down.

I like the yellow silicone vaccum lines b/c i'm azn! :biggrinbo

I'm giong to replace all of the vaccum line when i have the whole engine out.

My mods:

Intake, HKS replica Downpipe, 3" hi-flow cat, 3" exhaut piping.
60-1 w/10 degree clipped ct-26.
Lexus AFM
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
bosch spec 110 air recirculation valve.
Manual boost controller @ 17psi.
HKS turbo timer
Pillar mount boost gauge & narrowband a/f gauge (lightshow)

Last edited:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
that looks nice all the people i have talked to about paint shops they say maaco sucks so much ass, but from what i see here its not bad. did u sand it down and body it yourself or did maaco do it all?

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
D34DC311 said:
that looks nice all the people i have talked to about paint shops they say maaco sucks so much ass, but from what i see here its not bad. did u sand it down and body it yourself or did maaco do it all?

I sand the whole car down and then wet sanded again before taking it to maaco.

I chose the $299 paint job.

So far so good. No paint stripping at all (aside from the rear bumper which i got into an accident with, and the front lip which i scrape up shit with by taking dips too fast.)

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Im probably gonna take my supra to maaco. I mean as long as I do the sanding and as much prep work as I can myself I dont realy see what they can screw up. They may use economy paints, but Im not an expert on qualities of paints so I dont know. I think your car looks great. Ya cant blame maaco on a hummer hitting you. lol. If you have the time hit me with a PM with any tips or things you wish you did different it would be very helpful. Thanks alot and good work with your supra

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
socc924 said:
Im probably gonna take my supra to maaco. I mean as long as I do the sanding and as much prep work as I can myself I dont realy see what they can screw up. They may use economy paints, but Im not an expert on qualities of paints so I dont know. I think your car looks great. Ya cant blame maaco on a hummer hitting you. lol. If you have the time hit me with a PM with any tips or things you wish you did different it would be very helpful. Thanks alot and good work with your supra

have someone who have some type of experience with bodywork/prep work to watch over you.

90% of painting the car is the prep work. It can come out shitty or great depends on your prep work.

anyone can take a spraygun and spray paint on a car. It's all on the prepwork.

sand the whole car down with 180 grit. and then wet sand it with 400 grit. make sure the surface is smooth like a baby's behind after you're done sanding. If not, it's going to show up after they paint it.

also, getting your car paint in the summer is better because the heat help the paint stick to the car.

their economy paint (enamel) sucks because it doesn't bond as well as the high quality (urethane) paint. So it's more likely to fall apart than the high quality urethane paint. But as long as you don't hit anything, it won't fall apart on you. It's been a year now and the paint still looks great. Haven't fall/or chipped off like many people have suggested.

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
haha i just heard of Macco for the first time from my friend like 15 minutes ago, and i was thinking about taking my car there too, becuase his friends corolla came out looking really nice.

and just 5 minutes ago i was really thinking about, and decided to check out this section befor ei went to bed! and Ta Da! it's a post that talks about macco! haha it's a sign!

i'll probably take my car there within the next month. i wonder what if i bought a better paint than the economy, if they'll charge me less or more? haha and for them to do the prep work i was told $250 but then i kinda wonder how good of prep work would they do =/

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
Eric_Odie said:
haha i just heard of Macco for the first time from my friend like 15 minutes ago, and i was thinking about taking my car there too, becuase his friends corolla came out looking really nice.

and just 5 minutes ago i was really thinking about, and decided to check out this section befor ei went to bed! and Ta Da! it's a post that talks about macco! haha it's a sign!

i'll probably take my car there within the next month. i wonder what if i bought a better paint than the economy, if they'll charge me less or more? haha and for them to do the prep work i was told $250 but then i kinda wonder how good of prep work would they do =/

do not pay them shit for prep work. It consist of doing nothing.

Maaco uses Enamel paint for their economy paintjobs ($500 and lower paintjobs)

Their higher quality paint is "urethane" which start at around $1000 and up.

I'm not sure if they let you bring in your own paint and they paint it for you. But if you can find a maaco that let you do that, spend your money on PPG (brand), they're the best ones. I don't think you can buy em as a person, perhaps ask a paintshop to buy it for you. They cost around $400 total with base coat & clear coat.

Do you know that for a high quality $3500 paintjob, 90% of the cost if for prepping the car? Paint only cost around $400 including clearcoats and it's hot hard to spray the paint onto the car.

How much of a quality prep work are you going to get if you paid them $250?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
So far so good. No paint stripping at all (aside from the rear bumper which i got into an accident with, and the front lip which i scrape up shit with by taking dips too fast.)

The front lip, mudflaps, etc, aren't supposed to be painted, they should have been taken off the car before it was painted IMO.

Same goes for the wiper arms and rear toe hooks, as well as the gaskets on the rear spoiler.

IMO you should have spent a little more time prepping the car (removing parts that shouldn't be painted, etc), but it does look pretty nice overall. :)

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
Jeff Lange said:
The front lip, mudflaps, etc, aren't supposed to be painted, they should have been taken off the car before it was painted IMO.

Same goes for the wiper arms and rear toe hooks, as well as the gaskets on the rear spoiler.

IMO you should have spent a little more time prepping the car (removing parts that shouldn't be painted, etc), but it does look pretty nice overall. :)

actually, i told them to paint it all. I hate the pre 91-92 looks of many things unpainted.

I like the whole car one color instead of say, mouldings, mirrors, mudflaps, etc...

personal preference.