Synthetic oil

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
My car always had regular (non synthetic) oil and I was wondering if just draining the oil, replacing the filter and adding a synthetic oil like Mobil-1 was OK? Is there anything I need to do like a motor flush? I always thought it was OK to switch over but some say once you have regular oil for so long it is not a good idea to switch to synthetic.

Thanks,
Sal

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
do that but change it again right away like100 mile style thats what i did when i first went to synthetic, oil was black within 70 miles

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I, too, am thinking about changing to synthetic oil. I recently replaced all gaskets and seals on the head(3000 miles) and all the front seals:cams,oil pump shaft and crank (-3000 miles) and the rear main seal. (600 miles) have only run non-synthetic oil in the motor so far. Would switching to synthetic be a good idea? thanks for the inputs.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
well "i heard" that its best to run the car on normal oil for a few thousand after like a rebuild or any major overhaul of an engine and THEN go to synthetic.
all i know is that synthetic likes to find all the little oil leeks normal oil couldnt.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
smagnotta said:
My car always had regular (non synthetic) oil and I was wondering if just draining the oil, replacing the filter and adding a synthetic oil like Mobil-1 was OK? Is there anything I need to do like a motor flush? I always thought it was OK to switch over but some say once you have regular oil for so long it is not a good idea to switch to synthetic.

Thanks,
Sal

Mobil 1 10w-30 and a TRD oil filter. good combination.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
If you've had a rebuild and/or changed all the gaskets then switching over to synthetic should be fine. The only people who have a problem with it is when they have an old engine. Synthetic acts as a cleaner, so all those old deposits of oil will get cleaned up, which can cause small leaks to show up in and around seals in the engine.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Thanks for the replies. I had the rear main seal replaced and the gaskets when I had the BHG fixed. So I should be OK to switch over.

Also, I just switched over from the green coolant to the red last week. I am upgrading the fluids -- a cheap "mod". :icon_wink

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
americanjebus said:
well "i heard" that its best to run the car on normal oil for a few thousand after like a rebuild or any major overhaul of an engine and THEN go to synthetic.
all i know is that synthetic likes to find all the little oil leeks normal oil couldnt.

This is what my mechanic recomended, and I haven't had a problem since.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
If synthetic oil cleans out old deposits should I change it more frequently the first few oil changes? Like change after 1000 miles then after 2000 miles?

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
It seems like it all depends on the situation: if you just did a complete rebuild of your motor versus if you changed some gaskets and did a BHG job and always used regular oil (my case - 121,000 miles worth) and so on.

This is what I am going to do:

1- Use Toyota brand oil filters (or TRD)
2- When I change over I will check my oil very frequently as far as color (black very fast?) and how much is being lost either on the ground (leak?) or just burning it (bad rings?).

I am going to change over very soon. If there is anything I learned or experienced with my setup I will share it with the list.

Thanks for all the comments.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I bought some Mobil 1 15w50(getting warmer here) today. I'm gonna put that in and see if I get any leaks and I will be checking it at least 2 times a day.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I'd say that you might want to check, but I don't think it you'll really need to change the synthetic out faster the first time. Everybody says change at like 2500 miles so if you're really worried maybe like 2000. I never changed until 3k, didn't have a problem with that. Synthetic is supposed to last a long time, so if you don't have any leaks or anything it should be fine.
Also, while I'm not sure about the TRD filters I know that the regular OEM toyota filters are just rebadged FRAM filters, which are pretty much the worst you can buy. There used to be a certain JDM built filter for lexuses which everybody thought was the best, but I'm pretty sure they stopped making them a while ago. As I remember, WIX, K&N, and MOBil oil filters are supposed to be the best.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
doom26464 said:
I have always wonder what are the advantages of synthetic oil vrs regular oil??
In theory and generally speaking (lots of variables here), synthetics are better because:

-they flow better at cold temperatures
-they don't thin out as much at higher temperatures, therefore offering more protection in this situation
-they last longer before breaking down, so don't need to be changed as often

In practice, if you change your oil regularly, and don't abuse your car too much, any difference is insignificant and is just pissing money away in the name of "peace of mind".

If you have a strung out race or street car on the verge of melt down, by all means use the thickest synthetic you can run (up to 20W-50 is recommended by Toyota). If you have a mild car, and don't push it to extremes, waste your money elsewhere.