what goes first in the auto tranny?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i've been reading everything on howstuffworks about the auto tranny and hitting the articles that dsmtuners.com has and been wondering about my auto tranny. i know it tends to die once the engine hits 300hp but what part of the tranny goes out causing this failure. how much power are our torque converters able to handle and how effecient are they.
what goes first, our drive clutches, 1st geer 2nd geer ,3rd geer, or our torque converter, valve body?? im learning as fast as i can about auto trannies and hopefully will go to junkyard and buy as close to a mkIII tranny as i can find and take it appart.
for you guys that blew them, what broke first in your auto tranny.

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
2nd and 4th are the weak links in our autos you can get the auto rebuilt with kevlar bands and uprated clutchs with a shift kit it will be fine for insane ammounts of power

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
you have any idea where to buy that? where to buy clutches and kevlar bands and whre to buy a decent shift kit i know of the suprashift thing anything else?

MKIII87Turbo

Mar 31, 2005
IB/South San Diego
There is a write up for doing a valvebody mod on SF under the MKIII Tech. Its a sticky. I did the mod to an extra tranny I have. I'll be putting it in this weekend to see how well it works. The tranny I'm pulling is getting the Kevelar frictions/bands. I still don't know where to get them though, but haven't searched to much on it yet.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
MKIII87Turbo said:
There is a write up for doing a valvebody mod on SF under the MKIII Tech. Its a sticky. I did the mod to an extra tranny I have. I'll be putting it in this weekend to see how well it works. The tranny I'm pulling is getting the Kevelar frictions/bands. I still don't know where to get them though, but haven't searched to much on it yet.

Can you cut & paste the write up, some of us aren't allowed to have an account on SF :squint:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
with regards to the write up for the trannie... i would wait for a bit as there appears to be an issue with instead of going into o/d it's going into reverse :eek:

with trannies we've had blow up....

my "only" trannie i blew, was going fine then one day on a long trip i go to accelerate and it just slips... just like a clutch gone
i was fine for getting in all gears if i was coasting down a hill etc but as soon as i tried accelerating = no gears

the 1.5j
wow where i do i start LOL
mainly the symptoms were as follows for our graveyard of 9 trannies hehe

first trannie... first signs we noticed was a lag in changing gear at high rpm... it would sorta go into neutral for a sec then wack into the next gear
2nd trannie... was going great... stopped at our workshop just to check fluids before we go to the dragstrip... all good.. jump in our cars ready to go... the 1j puts his in reverse... no reverse, put it into D.. no drive.. all dissapeared
had this happen on two trannies

these are on a342's, mine was a340

the 1.5j now has an a340 and surprisingly enuf it's holding up to 420rwhp LOL
don't ask me why or how.. i don't know... but it is :D

the only thing that's happened twice to the 1.5j now is we break flexplates :wtf:
we crack them either around the crank bolts or the torque converter bolts.. for now the next one is holding up.. but i guess if the trannie won't break somethings gotta hehe