Starting Problem

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
when i try to start the car and the engine is cold, it takes forever for the car to start. and i have to pump the gas to get it started!

the car wasn't like this when i bought it, its just started happening recently. any idea of what it could be?

also does anyone else have the problem with after they get the engine started it just dies like if you dont add a little bit of throttle, why is that?

also what's beginning to happen is when i get the engine started my belts SCREAM! loudly! annoyingly loud! i'm thinking it's the tensioner maybe it needs to be tightened? anyone else have an idea or maybe info from experience?

SpeedSuns

Apr 4, 2005
well i know mine does that when its cold too...i was told to check the "cold start injector"...i just pump the gas while im startin it...

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Yeah, probably the cold start injector. Check that first. If not it may be the temp sensor as I think the cold start injector gets some of its input from that, but not sure.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Cold start injector does surprisingly little to start the car. It's a 210cc injector feeding 6 cylinders, it's not really going to do much. I've had mine removed for years and never had any problems starting the car cold or hot - anywhere from 18F to 110F no problem. Try leaving the key in the on position for about 5 seconds before starting, if that helps you might need new seals on your fuel rail. You could also have dirty injectors.

As for having to help the car idle cold, it sounds like your ECU's water temp sensor is bad, your ISC or ISC wiring is bad, or your car just needs a tuneup.

If your belts are tight then it's probably a bearing going out. Make sure your belts aren't excessively tight. Easiest way to find out is to take all the belts off and try to spin every pulley and tensioner. If one of them has any resistance it is probably the problem. If none of them are noticeably different, put just the alternator/water pump belt on and see if the noise goes away, that will at least eliminate PS, AC and AC tensioner.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
FWIW the cold start injector does have a noticable effect on my car.

mine is disconnected and after sitting over night (35F lows this time of year) ill have to crank it for a few seconds two or three times before itll start.