N/a / Turbo fuel pump

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
How much different is the N/a fuel pump from the turbo fuel pump? Or do they have the same flow rate.

Need to know because my friend did a swap and put a 7mgte in his N/a body and want to know if the fuel pump is efficient enough.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the fuel pump is the same. i did a turbo swap into my N/A (and its an 86.5=old) and i had no fuel issues. i was still running pig rich.

its still not a bad idea to change it out w/ a new one though, figuring its at least 12 years old.

-shaeff

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Since i was changin out everything on my conversion, I went ahead and went walbro so I can support more mods later......just cheap insurance

BUT - to answer your question - the fuel pumps are the same for NA and T

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
fun fact: the mk4 pump LOOKS EXACTLY like the mk3 pumps...it amazes me that it flows sooo much more... when i got mine i was like umm this is the same pump...if it didnt have the part number on the top for me to compare and look up....i would have thought them to be the same thing...

i want to cut into both of them and see whats up...maybe the mk3 can be modified to flow like the mk4 pump... say hello to not having to buy a new fuel pump until 500hp :D

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hmmm, perhaps i'll cut my old N/A pump in half after i pull it out... i too, am now curious as to what the difference is.

-shaeff

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
shaeff said:
hmmm, perhaps i'll cut my old N/A pump in half after i pull it out... i too, am now curious as to what the difference is.

-shaeff

well i have my stock mk3 pump to cut into...i need another mk4 pump....and i dont have an extra 80 bucks to grab one just to cut into it lol....

if anyone nkows of one for REALY cheap or even free...let me know and ill pick it up and do some tests and studying...

i mean they look EXACTLY the same...SOMETHING has to be changed for the mk4 pump to flow so much better.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
i am upgrading my fuel pump with a walbro unit and i wanted to know if it can be changed from the top like the sending unit or if the whole tank has to be dropped, if anyone has instructions on how to do it help me out.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
88turboma71 said:
i am upgrading my fuel pump with a walbro unit and i wanted to know if it can be changed from the top like the sending unit or if the whole tank has to be dropped, if anyone has instructions on how to do it help me out.

nope tank has to come down...

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
there are some 10mm bolts for the dust cover, 2 17mm deep wells holding the straps and some fittings going to the fuel pump that need open ended (or better yet flare nut) wrenches........shouldn't take you but an hour or two