7m-gte problems?

7m-gte_power

what r u most commen problems with the 7m-gte i would really like to know if 1jzin the supra would be worth the cash so any info would help (im new)

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
BHG and rodknock are the two most common complaints. A properly installed metal head gasket will take care of the former, keeping the engine ful of oil will take care of the latter. Happy motoring.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
1- Head gasket :evil:
2- Air pockets in the coolant system :nuts:
3- Clutch fan cooling fan
4- Vaccum leaks
5- Intercooler size/efficiency
6- Missing at idle

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
Another spin on "problems" IMHO since you are new to supras.... (same for GTE/1JZ)

1 - Trusting repair shops to do most anything (TSRM will be your best friend)
2 - Cost and limited availabiltiy of OEM replacement parts (MKIII's are 13-19 years old now)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I don't think that replacements are limited at all. I have never had a problem getting anything for our cars aside from something like factory floor mats. Curt at Elmhurst Toyota is amazing at finding parts. see www.supraforums.com for his dealer forum.

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
"Cost and limited availabiltiy" - It's not like you can go to NAPA, Checker, Autozone etc and get any part for an MKIII. Most use Curt or Jay online or maybe try local toyota dealership but it always is pricey. To me that is costly and limits availabilty :)

And I thought that automakers only had to produce parts for a car for 10 years. So I am happy with what is available considering we are past the window of "support".

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
2- Air pockets in the coolant system
4- Vaccum leaks

these are not 7m problems. those are maintanence problems. in other words, lazy, unskilled, incompetant owners!

dont blame the car for problems that the owner has caused/allowed to develop!

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
I have seen a few 7m's with crank pulley problems, some due to people not torquing the bolt properly or i have also seen some of the aftermarket pulleys start wobbeling on the crank and wear out the key on the nose of the crank

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I would definitly not use an aftermarket crank pulley. They are not harmonically dampened like the stocker and its been found they can cause a decient amount of damage over time.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
mkIIIman089 said:
I would definitly not use an aftermarket crank pulley. They are not harmonically dampened like the stocker and its been found they can cause a decient amount of damage over time.

Unless of course your engine is internally balanced.

7m-gte_power

thanks guys all this info is really going to be put to good use and help me keep my supra running as long as i can!!!

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
88turboma71 said:
Unless of course your engine is internally balanced.

Balancing the reciprocating assembly is an inertial component and doesn't address the "harmonics" that come into play with combustion. The stock pulley is a dampener that attenuates the shocks that are created when the air/fuel ignites and transfers energy into the piston-rod-crank. Simple lightened crank pulleys merely reduce reciprocating mass.

mkIIIman089 said:

The stock pulley is not dampened, that is what it DOES.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mkIIIman089 said:

no

wrong term and generalistic. Got three words for you. ATI crank pulley. Go look them up at ATIracing.com ;) They DO dampen, They ARE SFI approved for drag racing.

As for the stock. It is NOT harmonically dampened. IT DOES dampen harmonic vibrations... go to MKIIItech and learn what it actually does dampen ;)

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Quote:
2- Air pockets in the coolant system
4- Vaccum leaks

these are not 7m problems. those are maintanence problems. in other words, lazy, unskilled, incompetant owners!

dont blame the car for problems that the owner has caused/allowed to develop!
-------------------------------------------------------
Ummm, duh - let's see my car was 15 years old when I got it and it had these problems from day one. I agree lazy, incompetent (NOT "incompetant" - if you are going to use big words in a flame learn to spell) owners.

Anyway, the point is the MK3 is known for the gurgling waterfall sound that can be the result of trapped air in the system (or even worse BHG). There are so many hoses that it is easy for one to come loose (vacuum leak). The clutch fan cooling fan is an older way to cool the engine - these days a dual electric fan is usually used.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I was actually surprised at how few vacuum hoses the MKIII 7mgte has, especially for the technology it has on it. Even the 7mge has way more vacuum hoses. You want to talk about to many vacuum hoses. I'm working on a 1987 Ford F250 right now. That thing has an insane amount of vacuum hoses. It totally dwarfs the amount the MKIII has. It makes me appreciate just how simple our cars really are for their time.

As for the problems that the 7mgte has when compared to other motors the only real issues are like previously mentioned, the BHG and rod knock. The gurgling in the coolant isn't really an engine problem but a vehicle design flaw. The heater core is mounted higher than the top of the radiator. Also like mentioned the BHG and rod knock are flaws that can be fixed. But the reason they are so notorious is because there margin for error when dealing them is much smaller than with other motors. At least that's my opinion. However if you did go 1JZ, what would you do about your name? Now there is a problem. :)

Last edited:

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I am surprised at how durable and long-lasting the MK3 parts are. I have the original TPS, CPS, ISC valve, starter, igniter, and it is a 1987 Turbo with 125,000 miles. I did have a BHG at 110,000 miles but the original turbo was still OK. Some owners with other turbo cars go through many turbos by then.

I thought the MK3 had way too many vacuum lines, as many people have seen my engine and commented on that also. I guess I can tell them it could be a lot worse.

7m-gte_power

thanks again guys and if i got a 1jz so what about the name i would say something in my sign.