intermitent*(sp) problem

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Last night I was sitting at a light, noticed my gauge lights were dim, so I revved the motor and the lights got brighter, and then my stereo shut off with out me touching it, then the car just idled down to 3 hundred revs and died. Went to start it back up and wouldn't turn over at all. No clicks, no lights, no nothing. Then about 5 secs. later my blinker came back on and the car started fine but would not idle, it would start then just die. After it started I used the gas to idle it at stops and was able to drive the next 20 miles to my GF's but when I got to her driveway I let off the gas to see if it would idle and it died. Started it up this morning and idled perfectly. Been fine for the whole day. This has happend 3 or 4 times in 2 years. I was thinking maybe the Alternator or the battery. Neither has been replaced in those 2 years. Thanks every1 sorry for the long post.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
first check simple things, like loose grounds. many people overlook the ground wire on the battery. without a good connection, the car wont run properly.

if you confirm that all your grounds are good, then its most likely the alternator. if it is infact the alternator, DONT BUY A NEW ONE. it's probably the brushes in the alternator. take it off, pull it apart, and look at them. if they're worn, replace them. you're better off spending $10 at autozone, than $100+

-shaeff