new vs. old turbos

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
how does the the old t66 and t04r that you can make 600rwhp with compare to the newer sp kits or precision or pte kits for the supra that you can make that power with? :icon_ques

just would like to know the power, lag, and any other info u can compare them with.

-sean

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
they might be "old" designs but still make a TON of power. I have the t04r on my 1j... and it flat out FLIES. im at 11 psi right now (i need bigger injectors) and this thang is FAST. I have ridden in a mk4 with asp74gtq... it's hard to compare though due to his different hotside (.68 (mine) Vs. .81 (his))and different size compressor wheels, plus he has .5 liters more.

Get the t04r they are cheap for a new one (750 bux) When I am tired of the t04r ill go to a GT wheel.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
there really isn't a comparison- the newer tech stuff has HUGE gains in efficiency. this translates into less heat, faster spool, greater range of use and of course, more power. yeah the old stuff works, but if you can swing the $$ you won't be disappointed.

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
or rather this summer to make 300-350rwhp what kit could i go with. this is just to keep it a dd for a bit but still have some good power.
b/c i dont really like the ct 60-1 turbo, i would like something a little bigger but still reliable.
-sean

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Alpinesupra said:
so in a bugget case to make 600rwhp till i can afford the sp kits what should i go with?
-sean
t04r will work... I can get one for ya ... pm me if your interested.

garrettrowe

A good reference for turbo maps is:
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/

"New" turbos are in no way night and day different than "old" turbos. Correct matching of the turbo to the engine is the key. A correctly matched GT turbo will only have a 2% benefit in efficiency than it's old counterpart - that's about 1 horsepower. The gt line will spool quicker than the old turbos - they have fewer blades, and therefore less weight, and most are ball bearing. "Old" ball bearing turbo vs GT ball bearing turbo, however, the difference in spool would be minute if even noticeable.

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
garrettrowe said:
A good reference for turbo maps is:
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/

"New" turbos are in no way night and day different than "old" turbos. Correct matching of the turbo to the engine is the key. A correctly matched GT turbo will only have a 2% benefit in efficiency than it's old counterpart - that's about 1 horsepower. The gt line will spool quicker than the old turbos - they have fewer blades, and therefore less weight, and most are ball bearing. "Old" ball bearing turbo vs GT ball bearing turbo, however, the difference in spool would be minute if even noticeable.

so all in all there really is no different from the t04r ball bearing turbo and the newer gt single or dual ball bearing turbos now?
-sean