new stage 3 clutch question

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
As part of my rebuild I replaced the clutch, resurfaced the stock flywheel and replaced the slave clyinder.

with less than 1 mile on it, when I engage the clutch the car shudders then starts to move.

Wondering if this is normal? How do you break in a clutch? the clutch engages about 3/4 of the way up, is that where it is supposed to be?

Thanks for your help!!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I have 300 miles on my Spec stage 2 and it chatters at low RPMs also. I think its normal for a higher performing clutch. Try revving the motor up more (2-2.5k) before letting the clutch out. When breaking in a clutch drive it real easy(no high RPM dumps or hard shifting) for about 500 miles. Then progressively get on it a little more till about 650 miles then you should be all broken in nice. Also, stop and go (city) driving is the best way to break in a clutch, it lets the disc and Flywheel form a nice "groove" together. *My mileage recomendations are probably in excess but its better to make sure than to have to replace a clutch pre-maturely.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
aye mate said:
I have 300 miles on my Spec stage 2 and it chatters at low RPMs also. I think its normal for a higher performing clutch. Try revving the motor up more (2-2.5k) before letting the clutch out. When breaking in a clutch drive it real easy(no high RPM dumps or hard shifting) for about 500 miles. Then progressively get on it a little more till about 650 miles then you should be all broken in nice. Also, stop and go (city) driving is the best way to break in a clutch, it lets the disc and Flywheel form a nice "groove" together. *My mileage recomendations are probably in excess but its better to make sure than to have to replace a clutch pre-maturely.
i heard those same numbers for breaking in a clutch...actually i think those are universal numbers for any mods that effect the car as a whole....i.e. clutch, turbo, etc.....but im not positive

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i broke in my clutchmasters stage III for a thousand miles before i got on it. i believe its recommended 500 miles of stop and go driving. so, to even it out, since where i live that would take forever, i just broke it in for a thousand miles (per dr. jonez's recommendations)

-shaeff

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Thanks for the responses-
While you were breaking the clutch in, did the car shutter? My car shakes then starts to move. If I rev it to like 1500-2000 then slip it, it will engage much smother, but at like 1200 the damm thing shakes.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
thanks for the info-
wanted to make sure something was not going wrong with the clutch-

I sure I will have many more questions as I get this thing up an running, I do appreciate everyone's help!!

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
I have had 2 stage 3's.. my one on the 7m chattered like crazy.. the 1jz one chatters but not nearly as much as my other one.. wierd.