Body Upgrade: 89+ Kit on 86-88

bandwagonpilot

Garden Variety Nomad
Apr 5, 2005
VA
I have an 88 Supra Turbo, and some of the available body kits are only for 89+ models. My question is, if I purchased an 89+ body kit, what complications would arise when trying to put it on an 88? What are the major differences between the body on 86-88 models and 89+ models? Would it only require different screw holes or adjustment of the groud effects, or is there something entirely different that would make that very complicated. Also, does anyone know what the Supra is closest to body style wise. I was wondering if there were any other cars with close body kits that I could modify to fit onto the supra. Also, how difficult would the taillight conversion be as well? I'm sorry if it's a repeat question, I remember seeing something about the taillight update, but I can't find it anymore. Thanks.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Tail lights changed, but it doesn't usually affect body kits.

Main thing is the front bumper, you need to get the newer turn signals, grilles, and the associated mounting brackets to get stuff to bolt up.

bandwagonpilot

Garden Variety Nomad
Apr 5, 2005
VA
Thanks guys. I was trying to figure out which body kit to use, and I wanted to broaden the selection. But I think that I just like the stock body, aside from updating to the 89+ body, I think that I'm going to stay stock. Thanks for the help.