How close the Probe is to the Supra

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
NATAN666 said:
only from the front, there is a resemblance... but hate to say it the newer probe front ends are sexier, but the rest of our car is sexier..

p13427_1.gif
:gaybar: :wave:

thats blashphemy. supra > probe PERIOD!!!

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
The probe that remotely looks like the mkiii came out after the Supra. I think Ford was jealous of Toyota's superior design, so they had Mazda spy on Toyota and copied the Supra concept design as much as legally possible (how's that for going out on as limb?). A Supra is soooooooo much better than a Probe. Oh yeah Probe=FWD, Supra=RWD....which one is better is a total duh.

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've owned both - 93 Probe and my current 89T Supra.

In stock form, the Probe had slightly better acceleration and FAR better handling, with the notable exception of some nasty torque steer. Very mild mods put the Supra ahead in the power department by a significant margin. I haven't worked on the suspension yet, that's next on the list.

The Supra takes to mods much better - the Probe is a serious PITA to mod. Basically, Mazda built the powertrain too close to it's max power all the way along - so you upgrade one part, the rest of the drivetrain will break. Unlike the Supra that was overbuilt to such a large degree that it's almost silly. :)

Newsflash - only the powertrain and interior were designed by Mazda. The exterior is all Ford, and comes with all the little fit and finish problems that you would expect from Ford.

The Probe is excellent in a crash, at least from the protection of the occupants point of view. I know this from personal experience... 60mph to zero in the length of time it takes to crumple the engine bay. I got out, took my mountain bike off the trailer hitch, threw my gear in my buddy's truck, signed the paperwork for them to tow my wreck to the junkyard, and went riding on the mountain. The other guy's brand new minivan was in pretty sad shape as well. I expect he'll think twice about stopping at the end of an onramp next time. ;)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No doubt! It's actually happened to a friend of mine. The other driver offered to pay outside of insurance - until he found out that the bike was worth $7000, then he freaked out. So my buddy just said fine, I'll just talk to your insurance then... Got lucky with the insurance adjuster, turned out he was a mountain biker as well, and knew exactly what the value was of the bike.

When I crashed my Probe, my MTB smashed the hell out of the back of the Probe. The bike was fine. :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
doom26464 said:
hmm stock for stock i think the 93 probe is slower but an 89-92 might be faster, I rember racing an 88 supra turbo in my 89 probe GT and murdering it.
The '93 Probe GT is 1 second slower than the Supra-T in 0-60 AND in the quarter mile. Are you SURE it was a Turbo, and if you are sure of that, are you SURE you were racing?