2JZ turbos onto the 7mgte?

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
I posted on gay supraforums and not one person even read it.. so I will try here.

I have found a pretty good deal for both turbos + manifold + downpipe and was wondering if you could do the same thing with the exhaust manifolds that we do with the intake manifolds?

IE cut them/MIG weld them/even out the chambers and so forth?
The only reason I have no clue is because I don't know exactly how the exhaust mani is set up or anything so I can't decide...
What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions..ideas..or thoughts.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
could the 7m handle the 2js is the question and
clearance might issue.
and why?
the turbos you can get for the 7m can be twice the power of a stock 2j.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I was thinking about this a little bit, and it sounds feasible that with an AEM it might be possible with the extra I/O wires to have some sort of way to trigger an actuator/VSV that would bring the second turbo online at, and remain online after a specified rpm..
Of course, this is just another wacky idea that popped in my head one day.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
D34DC311 said:
could the 7m handle the 2js is the question and
clearance might issue.
and why?
the turbos you can get for the 7m can be twice the power of a stock 2j.

You do understand that with a little more than 1k in mods a 2jz puts down about 450 horsepower with their 'stock' twin turbos?

ANd yes, the turbos you can get do make more power... but farther in the powerband and for a hefty price.. this will cost me almost nothing, atleast to acquire the turbos + mani + downpipe. Only thing I wouldn't have would be piping for IC and IC which I could do the custom piping and buy a stock IC off a 2jz.

Now my question is; I have read a little about the true twin conversion and the sequential but I don't fully understand. What do each of these do?

WHen does the second turbo usually kick in? And at what rpm?

I'm trying to explore options at this point; thanks for the input so far.. off to work.

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
The biggest problem I see is space. There isn't a lot of extra room in the engine bay. I've heard that you need a single turbo conversion if you want to swap a 2JZ into a Mk3. Since the Mk4 turbos will end up in roughly the same spot you'd probably have the same problem. But this is just hearsay and speculation. Maybe someone who has actually performed that swap could chime in? Good luck with you endeavor, it's always interesting to see new ideas.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
7MGTEJoe said:
The biggest problem I see is space. There isn't a lot of extra room in the engine bay. I've heard that you need a single turbo conversion if you want to swap a 2JZ into a Mk3. Since the Mk4 turbos will end up in roughly the same spot you'd probably have the same problem. But this is just hearsay and speculation. Maybe someone who has actually performed that swap could chime in? Good luck with you endeavor, it's always interesting to see new ideas.

The 2jz is slightly wider due to a larger cylinder bore, hence the fitment issue. It may be the case that the same turbos on a 7m would be able to fit. You never know until someone tries it.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
A 2JZ with stock twins does not pose a real fitment issue - there are several people who run them in their MkIII. There is only one spot on the back firewall that needs a love tap with a mini sledge. It's not so much a side-side fitment issue; it's a front-rear issue.

A 7M head/block is "skinnier" than a 2JZ, and so long as the manifold is made correctly, I see no problem getting this to work.

http://i-supra.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/7936011951/m/305104382

Here is a write up I did about a year ago.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
ok well maybe i was wrong about fitment.
well Disced if u have the time and cash, WTH u waiting for. get working.
and
keep us posted.

BTZ

Apr 5, 2005
Burnaby
there was a 7m manifold for the stock 2j turbos on ebay a while back. the hardest part would be making the turbos sequntial. read up on why mkiv guys do not convert from sequntial to true twins. supranick has a 2j with stock twins iirc.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
BTZ said:
there was a 7m manifold for the stock 2j turbos on ebay a while back. the hardest part would be making the turbos sequntial.

I think the sequential part could be done very easily. Either put in a rpm activated switch and have the output kick on the vsv for the second turbo, OR, use a cheap manual boost controller to adjust the vacuum to the sequential actuator so it comes on at a certain boost level.

FUN PROJECT! GO FOR IT!!!

Although......I might have a ct26 mounted on a 1jz before you get your 2j twins on a 7m. :icon_wink

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
It sounds cool and all but ct12's are useless after the 450 or so hp they make and not to mention all the work, you basically wanna rig up the exhaust manifold which may or may not require machineing, then ya wanna slide these twins into the engine bay which is a close fit, then ya wanna use an AEM to control the sequential setup? I mean when ya look at this ya coulda just got a nice big single, a good flowing exhaust manifold and bolted it all up and make more hp or at least the same as you would with those 2j turbos, and it would be easier to make with a large single because even at lower boosts your flowing more air than those lil ct12's I just think its a lot of hassle for a lil bit of gain and "coolness" of having sequential turbos, I mean if ya want all that stuff swap to a 2jz, at least then your work and custom fab would be worth it as you would have a engine capable of big hp with minimal work. JUST a thought, but maybe one needing to be mentioned.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Sequential is wack. I guess you could do it Aaron's way. But that's so much work. -_- I wouldn't bother trying to put CT12Bs on a 7M anyway.