Advanced timing???

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
I guess I'll get straight to it. I was helping out a friend who couldn't get his car running properly so I giuny pigged my car and swapped parts back and forth. Never got his car running, but then my car ran like shit afterwards. We took out my cam sensor unit and I guess when we put it back in it was off. We didn't have a timing light to do the timing perfect but just set it where the car idled and rev'd ok. I drove it home but I could hear pinging and my exhaust kept popping at idle and didn't seem to sound right. I took it to my mechanics shop yesterday and he said it was pretty advanced and he had to do a few adjustments. I got my car over there fine without noticing mush power difference. I might of drove 30miles like this, what kind of damage could I have done???? Hopefully not much but last time I took my motor to him the cam was rounded down because the person who had the car before me ran it with the timing off. Anything would help I hope my 7k motors not dead. Thanks-T

M

MisterTurbineTwister

30 miles isn't too bad on a pre spark detonation (pinging) run. Just don't do it again, obviously. If you didn't boost hard, you should be okay. Detonation can murder a turbo engine fast if you don't watch your boost, but fortunately, these engines are set up for an over rich mixture for safety, so they shouldn't run lean enough to kill your pistons. I would change the oil within the next 500 miles or so with a good 15W40 (factory recommended) or 20W50 oil if you are experiencing hotter weather.

It can do a lot of damage to an engines rod bearings if left incorrectly and driven, but your computer has signals coming in from knock sensors on the block that should have made up for a lot of over advancing.

In other words, these engines are smart enough to put up with small mistakes like this as long as they are corrected soon.

Buy a timing light and make sure that your initial advance at idle (750-800 rpm) is at 10 degrees before top dead center (TDC should be the mark on the timing cover).

The cam position sensor gear will twist when you remove the unit, so make sure that you keep an eye on where the shaft moves and KEEP it in that position when it's out. It's usually a good idea to mark it with tape on the housing and on the shaft or inductor wheel before removing it.

If you hear pre spark detonation (ping) ever again in any case in the car, it's too advanced. It could be incorrect timing in the cam position sensor or you could have a bad knock sensor. The engine will throw trouble signlals to tell you what is wrong, and it should go back into a "safe" mode if the ECU knows something is wrong, like a bad knock sensor.

Just read the thread in the FAQ on engine codes and how to read them. You don't need anything but a paper clip to bridge two terminals in the "Diagnosis" block inside the engine bay on the left inner fender and a pen and paper to write down how many times the check engine light flashes. There is a list of what each number of flashes signifies for the trouble code and your ECU will basically tell you exactly what's wrong with the car if you suspect anything or if you get a check engine light showing.

But anyway, you should be okay. Just don't mess with your ignition unless you have a timing light again :)

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
Thanks for the info, my mechanic(I know that sounds sissy"I have a mechanic") I try to do everything myself but when it comes down to something as important as this; I'm not trying to buy a new motor. Anyway he says he got everything fixed and it seems to drive "boobies". It was advanced 10 degrees. So I'm on my way to pick it up. Thanks again-T

M

MisterTurbineTwister

Any time you have a question, even if it seems stupid to you, ask any time here or you can email me if you don't get a response.

karatekid@worldnet.att.net

Just post something like "Supra Question" in te title, so I know not to delete it.

It's only stupid to not have a mechanic and not to ask questions if you don't know what's up with your car. Sometimes I catch my friends go on and on about how people don't have any idea what's up with their cars. I quickly remind them that they live in a house that someone else built, eat food that someone else had farmed and harvested and wear shoes made by little kids.

The way I see it is that not everyone has to know everything about cars in order to enjoy them. As log as you have a good mechanic, keep up on the maintenance of your car and ask questions about your concerns, you can always learn more as you go and enjoy it just the same as a professional.

Everyone starts somewhere and there is always a distance between picking up your first wrench and being a master in the arts. Most fall somewhere inbetween. Hell, even race car drivers screw up once in a while and EVERYONE learns something new every day.

Always happy to help!