Question about seat swaps. MKIV --> MKIII

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Okay, I am just asking this because I was curious, and I could not find info here on it...

Would it be possible without massive changes to put MKIV front seats into a MKIII? If someone has done it, could you post some pics or do a writeup on your install if you had to do custom brackets and ect?

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Okay, I did a quick search on SF :(, sorry. lol JK Trent says that they would fit due to the fact that they are not as wide, BUT nothing else was mentioned about fitment.

Also, another thing came up about the MKIV seats. I have riden once in a MKIV for aprox 3 hours cruising but never felt uncomfy. Maybe I was too excited about boosting to notice, but everyone says MKIII seats are way better to sit in on long rides.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
i have riden in the MKIV seats on like a 3 hour trip their ok but i really preferr the way the MKIII seats cup u into them, just get ur MKIII seats re upholterd(sp?) in real leath none of that vynal shit.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
i have sat in a MKIV seat for about 20 seconds.. but compairing the MKII and the MKIII, id rather transplant MKII seats in there.. that makes you feel like a glove

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I, too, prefer the MKIII seats to the MKIV.

My seats have been recovered as well.

DSC01894.jpg

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
My leather was thrashed, so I bought some all black Sparco Torino replicas in faux leather for cheap. They are very comfortable and the only issue I need to address is adapting them to the stock MkIII seat brackets. I plan to do this with a grinder [to grind the pieces of metal that ascend upwards into the seat] and two bars of steel that are thick enough to hold more than my weight. I will drill holes in the two bars, mount them horizontally across the stock seat base, and bolt the aftermarket seat to the bars. I hope it'll work! :D
They are the universal fit type, so the company doesn't make direct-fit brackets for certain cars. You can't just drill holes in the bottom of the car for the universal sliders, either, because our cars are shaped a certain way in the seat mounting area [if you've ever removed your seats, you know what I am talking about]. No biggie.. this'll be fun anyways.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
drunk_medic said:
My leather was thrashed, so I bought some all black Sparco Torino replicas in faux leather for cheap. They are very comfortable and the only issue I need to address is adapting them to the stock MkIII seat brackets. I plan to do this with a grinder [to grind the pieces of metal that ascend upwards into the seat] and two bars of steel that are thick enough to hold more than my weight. I will drill holes in the two bars, mount them horizontally across the stock seat base, and bolt the aftermarket seat to the bars. I hope it'll work! :D
They are the universal fit type, so the company doesn't make direct-fit brackets for certain cars. You can't just drill holes in the bottom of the car for the universal sliders, either, because our cars are shaped a certain way in the seat mounting area [if you've ever removed your seats, you know what I am talking about]. No biggie.. this'll be fun anyways.
did you ever finish this? pix of the brackets?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Vinyl being crap quality is another urban myth that needs to be quashed.

15-20 years ago, vinyl was nowhere near the quality level of good leather. Since then, vinyl manufacturing has improved drastically, while cows are still cows.

Quality vinyl made today costs more than leather, feels better, wears better, and looks exactly the same as high quality leather.