front wheel alignment

D

dustyroads

left front adjusting cam has a bracket (not sure what that part of cam is called) on the left and right side of adjusting cam. this bracket has been damaged somehow in the past (looks like someone took a hammer to it and flattened it). During recent front wheel alignment, Toyota dealership said they have adjusted it as far as they can, but it still pulls to the left (enough that you have to keep the steering wheel in the 1 o'clock position while driving). Toyota said the piece is welded to the subframe and I would have to get an old one from a wreck (since Toyota does not make the subframes anymore). Said if I new someone who could weld, it wouldn't be hard to repair if I found one to replace it. anyone else had this problem? any truth to the fact you just can't buy an adjusting cam and replace the damaged one? anyone know where I can get my hands on one?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seems to be a fairly common problem. I banged mine back straight and laid a fat bead of weld along the outside of the shoulder to hold it up against the pressure of the adjusting cam. An alignment can be done without it, just use a prybar to move the arm instead of the cam.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
hmm... perhaps that's why my biatch wont align properly... they said it was "adjusted as good as it gets" ....i dont think so, since i could literally drive with my knee at 120 before and now i gotta hold it left at any speed... (no powersteering, so it hurts after a while)