car got broken into last night

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
So we're setting a game of 9 ball last night and my brother hears what he described as "a tire popping sound." Didn't think anything of it, but we glance out the window and there's a shady character walking past my car. Meh, it's orlando, it's an apartment, there's a heap of shady characters wandering around here. 5 minutes later, the factory alarm goes into convulsions, by the time we look said character is hopping the bordering wall to the apartment complex, so we know something's up.

I grab my keys and we run down to see what's happened. I immediately notice my car is covered in what looks like powdered suger, and there's a nasty chip and a concentration of powdered suger about said chip. My brother, who went passenger side says "oh nice." I glance into the window and see what he's talking about; the passenger window glass covering the interior of my car. Property check: fuel controller, CD player, even the flashlight and CDs in the open glove compartment are still there, so the guy got absolutely nothing for his troubles.

Cops come around, look for the guy a bit, then give up. They really were nice though, they sent like 4 guys out to cover the area, and were a+ people; see, law enforcment are great when they aren't pulling over speeders ;)

Downside is, I'm guessing they were after the MP3CD player, which I got on discount for around 80 bucks. They damaged one window, broke another, gouched my interior panel, and I have glass in everything in the car. In the door, in the door panel, in the seats, in the dash (I had a panel off under the CD player), in the AC ducts, the works. There's now a chip in the paint of my spoiler where part of the plaster rock [hence the powder everywhere] they used to break the glass broke off and landed. Price to fix + labor > $80.

Fortunately I have some great friends who are also night owls, and they lend me their huge extension cord so I can vaccuum out the drivers seat and drive the car back to a garage (50 miles away) and pick up the daily driver (honda).

I'm thinking it might be time to get the windows tinted. In the mean time I'm without my supie for a week or so because it's exam time, and I don't have time to dissasemble the interior to get all the glass out. Bonus: no deductible, which is a huge help.

So look out, older supras are still targets. :rant2:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Shit happens.
MF1.jpg

MF2.jpg

December 27th '03. Targa was open. Good neighborhood in Pensacola, Florida. Nothing inside was stolen. Just old-school vandalism. Luckily, I have full coverage and it's Florida, so the windshield was replaced, free of charge. Still, it was a crappy cleanup. There was glass chunks and powder everywhere inside the car, and I was extremely pissed.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
can we say WTF, most people who do this are either in HS or dont have cars.
srry guys that sucks.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
My winshield was broken one night when I was driving, just as I passed a car something(rock,baseball etc.) hit my hood, the a-pillar and broke my winshield. The car that passed me matched a description of the car used in a few vandalizations,(stealing hood ornaments off Caddies, BMW's and Benz's) that had been happening in my area lately too. It sucks went to the cops and they were just like we'll keep a look out for the car, blah blah blah, but I guess they couldn't really do much about it. It just sucked tho', so I'm feeling for you dude.

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
fuck these low life losers.

fucking piece of shit will be working @ McDonald for the rest of their pathetic life.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Sorry to hear about your damages. I had people at my HS always key my daily MKII Supra, so I rarely drove my MKIII Turbo. Maybe 3 times max, and just to my auto tech class hah. I would drive home, open the garage and drive to auto tech. hehe. Made me late, but oh-well, I guess it was the boost that had me hooked.

I never could catch those keying mothers. Sorry it has to happen to hard working people. :(

M

MisterTurbineTwister

I hate do do this, but I blame bad parenting. In the last 2 years, auto vandalism, trespassing and theft have gone up 740% according to police reports and insurance claims... It seems that there is a generation of kids now (between the age of 14-19 20ish) that just got the freedom of a drivers license and use half of their collective brain cells between their group of friends and make the poor decision to break into cars.

In the past year and a half I have had the following happen to me, my friends and my family:

Incident 1 (August of 2003):
Brothers 1980 Ford Bronco ('87 Eddie Bower body on '35" BFG A/T's lifted):

-broke in via slim jim stole the following:
-Auto Meter 5" tachometer and shift light
-CD player and bezel to the truck
-Amplifier and speakers

Incident 2 (2weeks later):
Brothers friends 1993 Acura Integra:

-broke in via no door handles (I had it stripped in the driveway for paint) stole the following:
-CD player with NO face

I removed the face, amp, subs and the interior parts and trim because I was painting it and I didn't want someone to steal anything when the door handles were removed. They got a $200 paperweight (CD player useless without face)... I still have the face...lol

Incident 3 (5 months later in Jan. '04):
My friend Josh's 1985 Toyota pickup shortbed (22RTE conversion):

- Broke in via slim jim and stole the following:
- The truck, itself
- Sunpro 3" Tachometer
- CD player
- Subs and amplifier with custom made box
- CD's from the glove box
- Hurst shifter knob (that came with the shifter)

On top of finding his truck, they joyrided in it for about 200 miles and parked it in an apartment complex lot 1/2 mile from his work (where it was stolen)

Incident #4 (5 months later in June '04):
My brothers Bronco (again):
- Broke in via passengers side wing vent window and stole the following:
- Bag of information on how to sell vacuums, but they left the 4 boxes of $3000 vacuums... Go figure.

Incident #5 (7 months later in late Jan '05):
My friend Jen's 1984 Chevrolet Caprice (34,000 original mile granny car):
-Broke in and stole the following:
-CD/MP3 palyer
-Sesame Street Coloring book (I guess for bragging rights?)
-Owners Manual to the car

The thing that sucks about this one is that she got the CD player for christmas last year and they busted the shit out of the dashboard that was mint (and it's an 84, so the rest of them in junkyards are trashed)

Incident #6 (last week, April '05):
My brothers bronco (AGAIN!):
-saw two guys get out of a black Dodge truck ('90s) and stop next to the truck in the driveway... Mind you I'm in the garage with the door open at 10:00PM coming back inside from taking the trash out.

They pull a flashlight out, so I pull out my sharpie and write down the lic.# on my hand. They look into the truck and see a post it note (that I put in the limo tint window because of the previous problems). The note reads:
Guess what? You're on film. Smile.

They look around freaking out, cussing and storming towards their truck, I go out into the driveway slowly and shout thank you. I called the cops and they caught them 3 blocks away trying to get into another car.

I think it's getting to the point where we need a federal amendment for higher police funding or something, because it's getting out of control. I don't plan on putting a stereo system in my truck resto because of this shit.

By the way, don't tint your windows unless you do it for the look and you realy want to. It just makes people more interested in what is inside the car that they cannot see and you are more likely to have the glass smashed again because of it (so they CAN see what is in the car).

A person wanting to steal something will look in your car, tinted windows or not, they will make a window that they can see through, so you might as well save the glass and don't bother with tinting. Just let them see what is inside, or they'll brake it. My brothers bronco has limo tint and of all the vehicles we've had problems with, this truck has had the most. We think that the tinted windows and big flashy tires attract idiots, so we're doing away with the tint job.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
A friends neighbor in a really nice part of town even:

They packed up their RV and took off on a week long trip. While they were gone some people smashed in their back door, took everything they had, packed it into their two cars parked in the garage, and stole the cars with the spare keys they had inside the home.

That would just be the most sickening feeling, coming home to both your cars and all your belongings stolen.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
THey don't need an amendment for police funding - they need an amendment where you can shoot trespassers on sight, especially if you catch them in the act of doing something illegal. People know that they can get away with almost anything, and all they have to do is run if they are caught. Most will be repeat offenders when they run - just like you said. They were caught a few blocks away trying the same shit. There should be no reservations about shooting someone dead on-sight. You sure as shit can't shoot them to disable, or you will get sued.
Right to bear arms, but you can't USE them to protect your property.
What's mine is mine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I often wonder at the thought processes of someone that fucks with an enthusiasts car like a Supra!

They go out and vandalise cars and while being wrong in the extreme most normal car owners will be pissed claim it on insurance and that's the end of it!

Then they fuck with one of our cars don't they realise if caught in the act your average modded Mk3 owner ISN'T just going hand them over to the cops?

Even if not caught in the act if the Mk3 owner ever finds out or even suspects they know who did it then "PayBack's a Bitch" was never more true!

I think this applies to just about anyone that mods a car.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i still got the factory stereo in my car but at the same time i usualy have a good $800 in electroncs in there, radar detec, gmeter, scanner, and atleast one didital camera. never had anything happen mainly cus i dont leave my car parked in places i dont know well, only at work, school, home or in plain site.

some kids flipped my garbage can one night before i got my supra out of storage so i chased them for half a mile in my tempo they ran through yards and into alleys so i turned off lights and drove into the alleys and just turned my lights on liek 10 feet away from them totaly stunning them and they kept freeking out and jumping into peoples yards. they must've been like 14 but i scared the living shit out of them. needless to say they didnt come back.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
americanjebus said:
i still got the factory stereo in my car but at the same time i usualy have a good $800 in electroncs in there, radar detec, gmeter, scanner, and atleast one didital camera. never had anything happen mainly cus i dont leave my car parked in places i dont know well, only at work, school, home or in plain site.

some kids flipped my garbage can one night before i got my supra out of storage so i chased them for half a mile in my tempo they ran through yards and into alleys so i turned off lights and drove into the alleys and just turned my lights on liek 10 feet away from them totaly stunning them and they kept freeking out and jumping into peoples yards. they must've been like 14 but i scared the living shit out of them. needless to say they didnt come back.

NICE! Kids are so stupid these days.

M

MisterTurbineTwister

I like the on sight gun control idea, but it will never happen because it will always be your word against his. People could abuse the law as well and it opens up a lot of controversy that nobody will want to get into. The best we can hope for is higher petalty (and I mean extremly high) for doing something stupid like this. Just set the bar as high as it needs to be to make it completely idiotic to try doing something like this.

I would suggest manditory jail time, but that costs $ that the govt. doesn't have. Just a huge fine ($5000 or so, and if you think it's too steep, don't try to fuck with someones property) and manditory community service would do, I think.

Whenever I catch someone in the act (my posessions or not) I'll cheap shot them to get the upper hand with something (pipe or however I can with whatever) and I will demand that they forefit their drivers license. I tell them that if they don't, I'm calling the cops and I get it every time. I take down their information, hand them back their license (so I don't get nailed for identity theft) and follow up by calling the cops. Yeah, I lie, but do they deserve an honest chance? Fuck no! LOL...

I have done this 4 times in the past and it works well. They get pissed when I call the cops and usually try to run, but then I just remind them that I know who they are and where they live and they slow down, cuss a lot and stop... Or they keep running and the police catch up with them at their house sometime durring the week.

I told all of the people that I have done this to that if any of my cars ever see anything stolen or damaged, I would give the police their information, or just take the law into my own hands, even if they didn't do it. The way I see it is that if I tell them that I will come back on them regardless, it keeps them from getting one of their friends to do it and my cars don't get fucked with by them or anyone they know.

The only downfall to this is that you have to catch them. I think initial prevention is worth more in the end, but this seems to keep repeat offenses happening to your property from the same person.

P.S.
I forgot to note that my friend Jon's 2001 Neon was broken into about 7 months ago as well, 2 times in the same week.

Last edited by a moderator:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
the fine thing would kick ass, but fuck $5000 make it like $10000, that way no one in their right mind would do something any where near smashing a window. and im talking $10000 for even keying someones car.

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
a reminder.

When you're going to shoot these fuckers. Remember that you're shooting to kill, not disabling them.

SHOOT TO KILL.

if they're alive, they'll sue your ass and WILL win. That's the court system for you.

You'll be living out of your car for the rest of your life if you shoot the fucker and let him live.

Fucker die = your words against....no-one. :thefinger WIN!
Fucker live = sued you so that you'll be broke for the rest of your life.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea but then again $30 peice of glass for a humans life. srry but if in the situation i couldnt bring myself to take it from them, mainly cus i know i have done stupid shit in my life and i dont think they would have right to shoot me.
if anything lead pipe to knee cap for every $100 of damage. ya gotta think that shit over before hand so when your in that situation you dont do something you will regret for the rest of your life. its a car you gotta remember that, if it was friends or family's well being at stake i'd do it, but not a peice of glass or replacable radioshack equipment.
-luis

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
My 93 Integra I had before I sold it was "broken into". I can't really justify the word broken b/c I left my door unlocked. I was stupid, but I know better now. Anyway, they stole my shitty CD player that was messed up anyway, but I missed my Linkin Park CD more than the player. They kinda did me a favor buy uninstalling the player b/c I was going to replace it that week anyway. They didn't take anything else in the car though AND were nice enough to leave my backpack with books alone. I guess they wanted me to further my education.:)