shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
origionally posted by ma71supraturbo:

All Prices are estimates
*JIC Lowered the Spring rates recently. Rates in parenthesis are the older rate. Note: The JIC FLT-2 appears to be the same as the FLT-A2 except with higher spring rates. I suspect the "A" denotes "American-spec."
**HKS springs are progressive. Rate listed is the MAXIMUM rate.
***Requires a special actuator
****ZEAL spring rates can be either "Street" (14/10) or "Hard" (16/10). The B6 is a Steel body with an aluminum lower bracket, while the S6 and SuperFunction are all aluminum and use "swift" springs (which have 1-less coil per spring to prevent coilbind). Lead time is 6-weeks
*****Zeal Superfunction (custom-order only) has independent rebound and compression adjustments. Lead time is 8-weeks

HKS makes solid pillowball mounts for $240/pair ($480 total). TEIN makes them for $160/pair

See http://dgtrials.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=2070 for more info on the Silkroad (it is the only listing I found for that brand).

For more information on ZEAL coilovers, contact Rishie Garg at Automotive Research & Development (408) 635-0000
----------------------------------------------------------------

So what does all that Jargon mean? Here is a brief explanation:

Ride Height Range: This is the range you can adjust the height of the car compared to the stock height. For example, you can actually raise the ride height .4" on the front of the TEIN flex, or you can lower it 3.7"

Spring Rate: This is how stiff the spring is in units of pounds per inch, or kilograms per millimeter. For comparison purposes, the stock MK3 has around a 460 lb/in spring in the front, and around 215 lb/in spring in the rear -- or ~ 8kg/mm front, 4kg/mm rear (Toyota did make some changes between the years so "your mileage may vary")

Number of Damper Adjustments: This is quite simply how many adjustment points the damper has (if any). A higher number of adjustments means you can do a better job fine-tuning the damper to mean your particular conditions and driving style. However, this spec does not reflect how large a difference each setting makes. Cusco's Zero-2 coilovers have only 5 adjustments, but I've been told 1/5 is really soft, while 5/5 is really firm...

Nitrogen Gas Damper: Nitrogen gas dampers function the same despite changes in ambient temperature. Conventional gas dampers tend to get stiffer when cold, and softer when warm.

Upper Pillow-ball: This piece replaces a stock rubber mount and can help firm up the suspension response at the sacrifice of some ride comfort. There really is no reason not to have this, but some of the bargain coilovers do not come standard with it.

Electronic Adjustment: TEIN is the only company offering electronic adjustment of the dampers with its EDFC. This is like the stock TEMS, but it offers much more flexibility in adjustments. While most view this as a luxury, few dispute how nice it would be to be able to change damper settings on the fly.

Height Adjustment Independent of Spring Preload: Most of the coilovers have you alter the ride height by changing the lower spring perch -- thereby changing the preload on the spring. This is not ideal because if you want to adjust the preload, you have to change the ride height. Additionally, for the hard-core users who wish to corner-balance their car, you would end up with slightly uneven spring rates at each corner. If the lower bracket has a threaded adjustment, you can change the ride height without messing with preload -- by far the ideal situation.

Aluminum Body: These coilovers are the lightest versions available. While the weight change is relatively low compared to other parts, coilovers are "unsprung weight" and have a greater impact on suspension performance. Steel-bodied HKS coilovers are about 3 lbs lighter than stock per corner. Silkroad coilovers are about 6 lbs lighter than stock per corner...

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
supra_stephe said:
yeah the cusco's are like way more expencive then that. I know the cusco importer and distributer for hte US (nukaba auto) and yeah bling bling.

A quick check of the Japanese Cusco page shows that the MKIV and MK3 have the same list price for Zero 1 and Zero 2 coilovers: http://www.cusco.co.jp/05_ctg/5sus_k_pdf/csk_28.pdf

Upgradedmotoring lists the Zero 2 at 1,965.45 for the mkiv, and 1,421.82 for the zero 1. That's pretty much the same price as when I compiled this table a year ago. You would definitely have to wait for these to come over from Japan, and they may not be stocked that well there -- so patience would be a virtue if you're looking for Cusco

the cusco coilovers wear out really fast and are expensive to rebiuld, might as well just buy JIC or Tein. One of my friends has the tein ss' and I've riden on them, okay feel, not too hard. I wish i would have bought thes type RA's this guy was trying to sell, but I needed the money for something else at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.