Normal 1j Oil Pressure

Hey,
I just wanted to see what you guys thoughts were on oil pressure on the 1j. I just installed my autometer pressure gauge and was surprised at how high the engine oil pressure was. At idle for startup, she is around 90lbs and then drops down to about 70 if i sit. For driving she is about 110lbs, my gauge only goes to 100, but she is going over. Then after warm her idle is about 60. Does that seem normal to everyone. I was pretty happy with the high levels. My NA 86.5 was always around 40 and sometimes would go upto 60. Well, thanks for looking!

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Where did you place the sending unit? My Top fuel electric guage is on the block were the stock oil preassure light switch use to be and it reads 6 to 8bar at cold iddle and 4 bar at warm and crusin speeds. I think your numbers are right. BTW 1 bar= 14.7 psi.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have my sensor tee'd into the oil feed for the turbo. On cold idle, I get about 60psi, dropping to 15psi when it warms up. When cruising, it's usually about 75psi when cold, and about 50-60psi warm. I've never had the pressure go past 75psi though, on either my 1JZ, or 2JZ bottom end. I thought that's where they have the pressure relief set to in the pump.

Bottom end was rebuilt with proper clearances on both motors. It's probably just a sensor location thing.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Thats a LOT of pressure.. the mkiv manual (2jz) only calls for like 10 psi at warm idle and 40-80 psi at 4k i assume it would be similar..

Last edited:

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
viperkillertt said:
It is inline with the oil reloaction kit. So where the oil is being pumped into the oil filter. It is 1/2" diameter hose.

i had mine in line on the way to my oil filter/cooler, and i was getting readings really high like that. i then moved it to the return line back to the engine, and it reads more normal pressue. I think its something to do with restriction in the system caushing the pressure to read higher, if you read when its going back into the engine, tahts the pressure your bearings are actually going to see.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
my autometer gauge reads about 75 psi cold idle, about 50 psi warm idle and cruising. The sender is attached to the block through 1/2" braided line.

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
+2 for the 1jz destroyer club, also too high boost on pump gas...

As for oil pressure on my 1.5jz:
3.5bar @ idle cold, 2bar @ idle warm
3bar @ 3000rpm warm
6bar @ 6000rpm warm
these are averages as I only have the stock meter

As a rule of thumb the oil pressure should rise 1bar for each 1000rpm increase counting from 2000rpm onwards.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Ιn a couple of days I should have some oil pressure readings also.
Cause my 2jz transplant will finish then...:icon_razz

As I know,JZ series engines have the proper pressure that a performance
engine should have:love:
I also think there are no issues on oil pressure problems on these motors
either...while 7M engines has this kind of issues :icon_mad:

But a big factor for a good/high oil pressure is the viscosity of the engine
oil. For hot climates 10-40 or 15-50 good quality synthetic motor oil is the
best for a performance and street racing.

A friend of mine in England has a mk4 supra turbo modified to 720 hp from
OWEN developments. (owen is a tuning company that is into official racing).
And the guy told me that for the last 2-3 years OWEN was using a very
thin oil like 0-20 or 0-30 and they couldn't finish the championship
without blowing an engine.For this year they changed the oil to a thicker
oil like 15-50 and bingo :biglaugh:

Ofcaurse thicker oil viscosity like 10-40 or 15-50 is OK but the oil change
should be performed on a very regular basis, like 2500 miles !

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
haha!
No, that's not entirely true, we're running different kinds of oil with different viscosity which means different flow numbers ;-)

What I meant is that good oil flow makes good lubrication, not big oil pressure.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rich said:
haha!
No, that's not entirely true, we're running different kinds of oil with different viscosity which means different flow numbers ;-)
You know, I thought of that shortly after I posted :)

Maybe we should post what sort of oil we have to go along with the numbers...

Or just be happy that we don't have oiling problems.